Aod Woes In Overdirve

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
My son's 93 is having a trans issue. Fluid level is good, TV cable adjusted correctly.

When driving normally in OD, if you depress throttle for slight acceleration, the trans slips and the engine revs like its in neutral. Let off the throttle and it will regain. This only happens in OD shifter position. If you pull the shifter down to D, it never slips.

What would cause this symptom? Lock up convertor failing? Or OD gear itself? Could there be a valve or solenoid inside sticking?

• Sponsors (?)

Naturally, the trans will want to shift out of OD if throttle input gets to high. It's designed that way so you can never apply max power in OD. However, it shouldn't go to neutral.

IIRC, I had this issue briefly when my car had an AOD and it was a TV cable adjustment that was necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Sonnax makes a "Super Hold Servo" that is supposed to fix the problem. The 1st AOD that I had torn apart, the OD valve was cocked to the side. It was bad enough that it started to strip the snap-ring groove.

76890-17KP.jpg

I dont know how serious it is, but Sonnax claims to have better snap rings? I bet that the OD servo is cocked to the side in this pic...

AOD1_zps647f3db6.jpg

36744-01-IN_Image3.jpg

Also, it could be from a rebuild and the person didnt seat the snap ring properly. These servos are hard to install by yourself. The first one that I did, I had my wife push on a broom handle while I seated the snap ring.

Also, I am not trying to say that the TV cable could be out of adjustment but that was my exp.

Tv cable is good and adjusted correctly.

Now, if it's a servo problem that would be something we coukd handle without too much fuss. Drop the pan and valve body no problem. Don't even need to pull trans from car. I'd love to fix it without pulling the trans.

Thanks for the info

Is it possible to inspect the od band with the trans in the car?

We're gearing up to drop the pan and valve body to have a look at the servo and maybe upgrade it in hope that it will solve the problem.

With it apart, I was hoping to be able to somehow physically check the od band.