aode to t5 swap what do you think?

I and swaping out my aode for a t5 and I found two places that sell kits. One is a complete kit from http://www.stangparts.com with a rebuilt for $2000 not sure on shipping or the clutch. The other one is www.bieberfever.com a complete kit without clutch and a new t5 is $2100 plus $100 for shipping. I would get a king cobra clutch. They also have a rebuilt kit for $1800 I think. Do you guys think its worth it? If so with one?

• Sponsors (?)

lot of money and probably end up being a pain in the @$$ to go through with that so my opinion probably say screw the t-5 but i mean $2100 can go for a supercharger/turbocharger that would improve your speed a hell of a lot more then a t-5 tranny will but hey your money or else just dress your car up a lil it looks like you got decent mods so far

Well I am going with the t5 because I'm on my 3rd aode and I'm getting real sick of them. The first one I had replaced was covered under warranty and the last one I paid $1300 for a new one and it starting to feel like crap 8 months later. I would rather just do a swap.

screw the supercharger. been there done that. a bad auto can kill the performance of a supercharger, trust me i have been there. get the manual, i finally did and have had nothing, but happiness.

By the way I bought my conversion+ a new tko-500 for about $22-2,300.

start hitting the junk yards!! plenty of good parts!

you can piece together the kit cheaper
heres what I paid
freshly rebuilt high allow tranny (stronger than stock) 700$ shipped
aluminum flywheel 245$
King cobra clutch 151$
quadrant fw adjuster 30$
MGW short shifter 110$
all the other parts(bellhousing, cpu, cable, etc) 400$
so around 1600$ with new tranny and nice aftermarket pieces, and i coulda got it cheaper cause i that 400$ package include stock flywheel stock shifter that im not using

rustang94 said:
Well I am going with the t5 because I'm on my 3rd aode and I'm getting real sick of them. The first one I had replaced was covered under warranty and the last one I paid $1300 for a new one and it starting to feel like crap 8 months later. I would rather just do a swap.
sounds like what i went through. mine dumped on me about 2 weeks after i got the car. they replaced everything but the case under warranty. my second one lasted a week before it started going south again. at that point i threw in the towel and swapped in the t5. it is by far the best decision i made for the car. i bought the amp kit with a rebuilt tranny. it came with absolutely everything i needed for the swap. it does seem like their prices have gone up though. do a search for my username and the word "swap" in the 94-95 tech forum. i have made many useful posts about this subject. 1 of which has a full list with part numbers, prices, and places to order them from. good luck with it.

rustang94 said:
thanks green 94 5.0 I like the simplicity of buying a kit and yes they said their prices did go up witch sucks but what can you do. Well I will have to do a little more searching.
well, the main parts are easy to piece together, but some of the smaller stuff can be a real pain in the rear to locate. things like the pressure plate bolts, bellhousing bolts, eec, and tranny harness may give you some trouble as far as finding them since you need them for a 12 year old car and many parts are no longer produced by ford. as far as my experience with amp, the kit was complete and arrived on time, but they did send me a 4.6 flywheel accidentally. that wasnt a big deal since i wasnt anywhere near ready for the flywheel to go in at the time. they agreed to send me the correct one, but it took many calls to get them to actually do it. the product was top quality, but the service after the sale was definitely lacking. they finally did make good on sending me another flywheel, but it should have been done without me having to be a major annoyance to get it done.

sage2k said:
seriously piece it together yourself, why pay 2 grand for a kit for a stock 5 speed system when you can pay less and get better parts? it takes a little time to piece it toegether and find deals but its worth it!
agreed 100%. not too long after i bought mine i changed the clutch, flywheel, shifter, cable, and quadrant. i could have saved a bunch if i pieced it all together, but at the time i just didnt want to deal with the hassle. it was worth the extra money for me not to have to deal with the complication.

I'm am piecing the swap together too.
So far i bought
a good tranny for 400
brand new flywheel for a 100
bell for 20
fork for 20
Used Pro 5.0 shifter for 50

luckily there is a mustang junk yard up the road. Ebay is good too. I know that the kit comes with everything but it just seems a little expensive. If you have the time, i would do the same. Plus the guys on here could help you find some parts.

gcomfx.com said:
rustang94 - how has your tranny fluid looked each time the AODE went out? Did it smell burnt?
The first time I lost 2nd gear. The 2nd time I lost 3rd and 4th gear. This time the converter came apart on me I got a new converter, filter, and fluid put in now and it seems to drive fine but who knows how long it will last. I have 2 weeks till I will have the money so till then I'll see what it will cost to peace it together thanks for all the help guys...:nice:

you can't use the aode driveshaft. its a different size.

you'll need (help me out guys, been a while since i did the swap):
tranny
shifter
clutch cable
quadrant
firewall adapter
new pedal assembly
5-speed computer
wiring harness for tranny
bell housing and fork
flywheel
pressure plate
clutch
bolts for everything....

rustang94 said:
Could someone make a complete list of parts other wise I sure I will forget something. Also I know I can use the driveshift I have now is there anything else I can use? Thanks
search.jpg

here are 4 threads i have posted in about the swap.....the first one has aftermarket parts with part numbers, and places to get the parts for most everything you need. these 4 links should get you well on your way.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=562036

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=560746

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=559408

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=459702