Apparently, I screwed up.

Taranis

Nov 12, 2004
Austin, Texas
OK. I recently got done repairing the front end of my 69 Mach 1. I was careful to replace everything in the same spot that it came out of. I even used an export brace to align the top of the shock towers before I welded them in. After the towers were in, I got the radiator support and the front fander aprons. Next, I took the export brace off to replace the shock tower-to-firewall fender aprons.

Now, the Export Brace will not fit back on. It's about 1/4 to 3/8" off. :mad: I've thought about using a jack and a spere 2x4 to realign things.

How would y'all go about correcting this. ? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Attachments

• off1.jpg
    off1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Front End_edited-4.jpg
    Front End_edited-4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Sponsors (?)

mine was a little tight and i got it on, but by looking at the pics i didn't have all the other bolts tightend down like you have them. unscrew all the bolts and start over- it will most likely be more flexible when the other bolts are removed.

i stuck the export brace over all the bolts first then slipped the nuts through the back then tighted up everything.

good luck

I had the bolts loose at first (no bolts at all on the firewall) and tried to get everything on to no avail. These shots reflect right before I came in after a while screwing with the setup. My next step was to use the jack, but I was tired and didn't want to try something out of desperation only to srew things up more than they already are.

The combination of heat and the differences of the metal replaced probably led to your problems.

I had the same problem. Move the jack stands further back on the frame to allow the front end to droop more. Loosen all the bolts (don't remove them and let it be. It might take a couple of days though. There really isn't much weight up there, so you probably will need to add some additional force.

If it is any concilation, the work you've done looks nice.

dennis112 said:
If it is any concilation, the work you've done looks nice.

Thanks. I applied the final coat of Chassis Black today. Putting I don't know what was worse..Replacing the front end, or the floor pans.

Well, I got removed the export brace and moved the jack stands back and voila! The export brace fits.:D It takes some maneuvering, but it fits. Thanks to all...