Approaching 70K miles

boomshack

Jun 4, 2004
Southern Cali
Hello everyone,

My 2002 Stang is approaching the 70K mile landmark (now at 67k). I've always been good about changing the oil and having the fluids checked every 4K miles. I'm about to go out of the extended warranty I purchased when I got the car used...so was wondering what service you all suggest I should do to make sure this pony runs for another 50K at least.

BTW, about a year and a half ago I had an accident and the differential was busted and had to be replaced along with one of the axles...so would a tranny flush still be in order in the service soon to come?

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Change every single fluid in the car including brake fluid. Inspect brakes, belts, hoses. Battery is getting pretty old if it is stock. Run seafoam through it, clean MAF, replace IAC. Change plugs, make sure you use silicone dielectric grease on plug to spring connection and clean and condition rubber boots on COPs to make a good seal and prevent water and dirt in plug wells.

Also, get a Haynes manual and do all other recommended items I did not mention.

Kilgore Trout said:
Change every single fluid in the car including brake fluid. Inspect brakes, belts, hoses. Battery is getting pretty old if it is stock. Run seafoam through it, clean MAF, replace IAC. Change plugs, make sure you use silicone dielectric grease on plug to spring connection and clean and condition rubber boots on COPs to make a good seal and prevent water and dirt in plug wells.

Also, get a Haynes manual and do all other recommended items I did not mention.

:Word: and like mention above also check suspension components

boomshack said:
Hello everyone,

My 2002 Stang is approaching the 70K mile landmark (now at 67k). I've always been good about changing the oil and having the fluids checked every 4K miles. I'm about to go out of the extended warranty I purchased when I got the car used...so was wondering what service you all suggest I should do to make sure this pony runs for another 50K at least.

BTW, about a year and a half ago I had an accident and the differential was busted and had to be replaced along with one of the axles...so would a tranny flush still be in order in the service soon to come?

Thank you
Psh, you want your car to run at least until 120,000? Luckily, mine is still running after 200,000. I don't know how, but it is. I probably have one of the highest milage 4.6L GT's on this board, if not the state.

bdcardinal said:
probably, or else find some friends with mustangs and have a work weekend, i know thats what ive done with some friends. basically it ends up with me doing everything while they sit and drink beer and watch.

+1 , I enjoy working on my cars with friends and drinking a cold one! While saving money rather than paying some nut to do it - who could give a crud whether or not it's done properly.

the98stang said:
Buy a Haynes Repair manual. It explains how to change every fluid in your GT you can think of. Along with tranny/engine overhaul. Best damn book there is.
My gf said she is going to get one for me for Valentine's day. I guess it shows how much she truely cares about me :d! Should she get me a Chiltons or a Haynes? Which is better? What's the difference?

I'd buy the Chilton.. but that's just me. If you prefer more pictures and more generalized instructions, Haynes would be better. Factory service manual CD would be my first pick.

Im right there with you...about to clock 70k. You should have already gotten your 30k service done twice. If not do it right away. I got lucky and found one of them franchise quicklube places that had just opend up and was one of the guys first customers...Hes treated me well over the years. Does all my (non dealership) work. I had my 30k done for around 280 I think. Ford wanted nearly 400 to do this.