Approx. $750 for rearend to get redone. Good price.

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So as some of you may have seen I have to replace the rearend because its a 7.5. I shopped around and ProGear will provide the housing, yoke, gears, install kit, and labor to put it together with my axles and auburn pro for about $750. Break down:
housing and yoke:200
gears:150
install kit and all bearings:150
labor:200-300
Kit may be cheaper because I didnt tell him I already had the outer bearings, and the cover gasket. All together its around 1400-1500 in the rear. Thats not bad seeing that I had to start from stratch and someone else is putting it together for me.
How much power do you think an 8.8 with forged 31 spline axles, richmond gears, auburn pro, and aluminum cover support can handle?

• Sponsors (?)

Just a thought, but wouldn't getting a used rear from the bone yard or off the net and rebuilding it be cheaper. I got a new rear (rebuilt) and had the guy put in a set of 3.90's and it cost me $400 Can. If your not in a hurry, it might be worth looking into.

No yards around here have 86 and up mustangs, and if they have the rearend, its already pulled and they want over $400 for it. Then Id have to lug it into my jeep, and then take it somewhere. Im short on time and thats a lot of extra time. Then I still have to get the gears and rebuild kit. This will save a lot of headache. I could get a rear from L.A., but if you've ever been to L.A. youd know why I dont want to drive all the way up there. This way, they have everything and they are completely rebuilding it for me. I trust them too because they did some great work on my other projects.

davs5.0 said:
Just a thought, but wouldn't getting a used rear from the bone yard or off the net and rebuilding it be cheaper. I got a new rear (rebuilt) and had the guy put in a set of 3.90's and it cost me $400 Can. If your not in a hurry, it might be worth looking into.

I would do what he said. That's just me. I will be doing that for my Hatch. But it does take time. I'm getting an extra rear end and rebuiding it and buying an aftermarket posi with 3.73 gears. I will end up spending $750 but I will have a bullet proof rear end. But I have to do all the work.

But if your in a time crunch you could have them do it. Also if you trust them thats always good. But $750 is a lot of money.

Did you try all the Yards in Chula Vista?