Are 4v heads from the 03/04 Mach 1 compatible as a swap for our 3v heads ?

• Sponsors (?)

I asked this a long time ago about 4v's onto a 2v block, and the answer was basically yes, but you had to mix and match a lot of parts (cam chain guides and other things). It'd be a custom job, but the heads should match the block.
Dan

i couldn't find the thread when i looked, but this has been brought up before. the answer if i remeber correctly is... There is no reason to because 3v Heads flow as well or better than 4v heads.

This is by memory so i would do some more research.

You would have to change heads, timing cover, timing chains & gears, water pump,intake manifold and TB. Then you would need to be a magician to re-tune your PCM to have no variable valve timing, because you now would be running a four cam setup. There would be other issues with changing radiator hoses, heater hoses and more small parts that dont line up with the original heads.
Sounds very expensive and what exactly do you think you will gain?

I know there isn't anything to be gained powerwise. I was just thinking that if the swap could've be done fairly easy, It may have been a possible alternative/fix concerning the 2 piece spark plug issues.

But after you pointed out, that it would also require changing the timing cover, timing chains & gears, water pump, intake manifold and TB. Not to mention having to re-tune your PCM, because you'll no longer have variable valve timing, but instead would now be running a four cam setup.

Therefore It's obviously way too expensive, and just isn't worth the hassle.

In the meantime, I'll just wait until Ford comes out with a new one piece plug design.

Why do that? have you seen any documented differences in flow between the 3V vs the 4V head? which flows more? Sometimes people assume that the more valves (and cams) the better when that might not necessarily be the case.

Normally 4 valves will flow more then 2 because they can open up a larger surface area for gasses to be moved through the combustion chamber but with 3 you can do the same thing (if not more efficiently) by having one large valve followed by two smaller ones. Mercedes caught on to this a while back that's why most of their engines have been SOHC 3V for a while now. That's just a different way of doing the same thing. So in the end going through all that work is essentially more trouble then it is worth.

Just my 2c.

What part of realizing that NOTHING would be gained, did you not understand !

I clearly stated that my only purpose for suggesting such a swap, was a possible solution/fix concerning the 2 piece spark plug problems.

It was just an idea that I had, which didn't have anything to do with a power advantage over the current 3v head design.

I also stated that it's just not worth all the hassle, and expense.

That being said, I also clearly stated, that I'll just wait until Ford comes out with a new one piece designed spark plug, for our 3v heads. :rolleyes:

I have read, somewhere, that the 4v combustion chamber is a slightly more efficient design and that, all other things being equal, the 4v will produce slightly more power. But I have nothing to back this up. I wouldn't do it unless I was building an engine from the ground up.
Dan