Roush Are all Saleens tuned to California emissions?

GTBEE

Nov 18, 2003
I had coveted Saleens for many years until coughing up the bucks 2 years ago for 02-382. I need help with a few basic questions.
1) Are all Saleens tuned to California emissions?
2) If so, is the Saleen muffler, performance exhaust, and x-pipe costing me hp? I can't go with off-road, because North Carolina does have emissions, just not as stringent as California.
3) I have heard of other Saleen owners who have added JBA ceramic coated shorty headers. Any of you out there? If so, did you have any problem fitting to the Saleen exhaust? Any benefit?

Thanks for your help.

The Bee

• Sponsors (?)

GTBEE said:
I had coveted Saleens for many years until coughing up the bucks 2 years ago for 02-382. I need help with a few basic questions.
2) If so, is the Saleen muffler, performance exhaust, and x-pipe costing me hp? I can't go with off-road, because North Carolina does have emissions, just not as stringent as California.
3) I have heard of other Saleen owners who have added JBA ceramic coated shorty headers. Any of you out there? If so, did you have any problem fitting to the Saleen exhaust? Any benefit?

Thanks for your help.

The Bee

Yes you can pass emissions, no problem :nice: . I did with lower emissions than a 4 cylinder car, according to the results :D .
The saleen exhaust is quite good and flows much better than a stock GT, I didn't change it. You might pick a few HP by changing to a X-pipe, although some found no improvement on the dyno.
I heard good and bad things about the JBA headers. I think you have to lift the whole engine to install them, which is costly and not worth the HP, if any. And they tend to crack and loose the screws :shrug:

00s281sc368 said:
Yes you can pass emissions, no problem :nice: . I did with lower emissions than a 4 cylinder car, according to the results :D .
The saleen exhaust is quite good and flows much better than a stock GT, I didn't change it. You might pick a few HP by changing to a X-pipe, although some found no improvement on the dyno.
I heard good and bad things about the JBA headers. I think you have to lift the whole engine to install them, which is costly and not worth the HP, if any. And they tend to crack and loose the screws :shrug:

Thanks for the good word, did I read your mods correctly, you have a Kenne Bell? If so, did your Saleen chip handle the switch? Thanks!!

The Bee

00s281sc368 said:
Yes, looks like the KenneBell chip did overwrite the saleen programing without any problem! The car was tuned correctly for the KB right after installing their chip in the saleen computer.

your in fremont, ca? im in san jose and work in fremont we should get together with other saleen owners and have a show and shine once the weather gets nicer.
david

DO you come out to the Saleen/SOEC Show in September in Irvine? The SOEC is going to be having the 3rd Annual Driving Event again this year on Friday before the show. I will have pictures from last years event up this week on the SOEC webpage. I can let you know once they are up. It is a great time. :nice:

mysticstang said:
DO you come out to the Saleen/SOEC Show in September in Irvine? The SOEC is going to be having the 3rd Annual Driving Event again this year on Friday before the show. I will have pictures from last years event up this week on the SOEC webpage. I can let you know once they are up. It is a great time. :nice:

not last year but would be interested to do it this year, please let me know when you put up the pics from the show.

GTBEE said:

Yes.

GTBEE said:

You could go with an X-Pipe with 2 "Cats" Vs. the OE 4. You most likely will need MIL Eliminators. The shop that installs the X-Pipe will know what they are, and they are not that expensive. Without them, your SES light most likely will come on. This will get you a few HP, but do not expect a night-and-day difference.

GTBEE said:

Thanks for your help.

The Bee

Most have not due to the high cost per power gain. The cost for doing could be spent elsewhere first for more "bang-for-the-buck".

Any more questions, just ask :)

2001s281 said:
your in fremont, ca? im in san jose and work in fremont we should get together with other saleen owners and have a show and shine once the weather gets nicer.
david

You both should check out The Saleen Club of America. The Club is broken down into 10 regions, and CA is in the "Southwest Region". You are always welcome to participate in any event all across the country.

Seeing how the current year Regional Director lives in SoCal, and the current year Assistant Regional Director lives up in the SF Bay Area, you should expect to see several events planned in the area.

So far, I know they have the following planned, and more is on the way.

April 16-18 Saleen Fest West EVENT INFO PAGE

June 6 '04 Huntington Beach Concour d'Elegance
New for this year thanks to the SCOA- 2 Saleen Classes, Street driven, and Concourse

September Saleen Show- Special SCOA events are currently being planned.

As I said, more events are in the works, so the best way to keep track is to join the club. If you would like to see what the SCOA has scheduled so far this year, check out their website, and click on the "Events" link up top.
http://www.SaleenClubOfAmerica.com

I am out on the left coast a few times a year, so I hope to see you out at one of the events.

Saleen Mike said:
Yes.

You could go with an X-Pipe with 2 "Cats" Vs. the OE 4. You most likely will need MIL Eliminators. The shop that installs the X-Pipe will know what they are, and they are not that expensive. Without them, your SES light most likely will come on. This will get you a few HP, but do not expect a night-and-day difference.

Mike, thanks for the good info.

GTBEE

Most have not due to the high cost per power gain. The cost for doing could be spent elsewhere first for more "bang-for-the-buck".

Any more questions, just ask :)