Are craigslist people really flaky or what?

codemonkey

Hungrymonkey's helper monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Wilsonville, OR
I don't know if it's craigslist people, or people looking for chevy trucks...

but man are these people flaky. I've purchased 3 vehicles, and every time I went to look at them, and if not interested I would tell the person I wasn't, and I never asked any of the stupid questions I have been pelted with. Nor did I act like any of these idiots I've dealt with.

I put my truck up a couple weeks ago, and I get around 5-10 calls a day. Every time, I'm in the middle of working, and find myself answering questions that are in the ad. The year, the motor, the tire size, etc. They dont call just to make arrangements to see it in person, as I would. They call to have me read the ad to them. Then, after all that, some of them make an appointment to show up and look at it.

I've learned to avoid putting my plans around people who are "showing up at 6pm" to look at it. 1 out of every 20 people actually shows up. I'm not exaggerating or joking about this number one bit.

Then I get some joker who shows up, and offers a trade. Over the phone, they were looking to buy, but now they're looking to trade. No, I dont want your 85 honda shadow, or your beat up ford thunderbird. Thanks for your time.

I did consider two trades, (it was a decent swap) and they say "well, there is this problem with a title......". Screw that crap. I have one unbranded title, in my name, for this truck. No lost title, no salvage stamp, no lien holders, no crap. It's not that difficult of a thing.

Then, (I have had this happen 9 times now) I get the "can you hold on to this truck and not sell it? I will be back tomorrow". Over 10 people now have promised to be back, and never showed. One per day for almost 2 weeks. I tell them all "I hold it for nobody. First come, first serve". Now you see why.

I can understand tire kicking, and bargaining. Comes with the territory. I understand the morons who say "Can I make payments? I can give you 100 bucks right now". But this sort of flakiness is just ridiculous!!

Has anyone else experienced this crap? I swear I haven't met a single person who showed up on time, looked at it and simply said "I'm not interested" and drove away. Not one!!!

• Sponsors (?)

LMAO, this happens to me all the time. Thats why I don't hold anything and I dont count on anybody doing what they say they are going to do anymore. It just happened to me again with the motor that I'm trying to sell. The guy said he will call me on friday to see if I still have it so he can come over on saturday and buy it. Well no call today so I e-mailed him to see whats up, and this is what I get.

"Well I don't know if it runs because it is was burnt so all I could give is $250 so if it doesn't run good I could use it as a core and not be out much".

Well thats cool because this car was t-boned and I drove the car home and it ran perfect, and it was never burned. So F that guy.

But anyways good luck. :nice:

I can believe it for sure. I have had great luck on cl though... Sold one of my GT's on there in about two days, first person to look and cash in hand...

My bad story was just last week. Some guy in Olympia had a set of Saleen 5 spokes rims for $200. I called and told him I would take them. He said he was in Vancouver and wouldn't be back up to Olympia until Thanksgiving. I told him that would be cool as I would pick them up on my way home from Thanksgiving dinner. I emailed the guy to confirm the meeting on Thursday, He emailed back and said they were sold!! I had asked him not to sell them out from under me. I asked him why and he said someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse. What a pair of JERKS:bs: :bs: :bs:

My bad story was just last week. Some guy in Olympia had a set of Saleen 5 spokes rims for $200. I called and told him I would take them. He said he was in Vancouver and wouldn't be back up to Olympia until Thanksgiving. I told him that would be cool as I would pick them up on my way home from Thanksgiving dinner. I emailed the guy to confirm the meeting on Thursday, He emailed back and said they were sold!! I had asked him not to sell them out from under me. I asked him why and he said someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse. What a pair of JERKS:bs: :bs: :bs:

That guy will get his. He is probably holding them for some guy offering double the price or something, but that guy will probably back out and you will have found another set, so he will still have his wheels for sale and he'll get less money for them in the end. :owned:

Well, see....craigslist is great but there isn't any legally binding agreement that says "you have to", atleast on ebay there is a more stern "in or out" approach. I've dealt with people like this selling stuff on there, actually one not too long ago. At first he was ready to pick up the same day if possible, but agree'd on a different day, then he couldn't make it when I was available, set up another time/day didn't respond...sent an email saying to let me know if he is still interested or decided to back out and that I'm cool either way. Didn't even bother contacting me back (that pissed me off).

I never give my phone number out initially just because I don't want a ton of "question" calls or beating around the bush. So I just go by email, until I know they are serious then I'll give my number. It might hurt the chances of finding a seller without providing a phone number, but I figure if they really want it then they will contact me whatever way.

I never give my phone number out initially just because I don't want a ton of "question" calls or beating around the bush. So I just go by email, until I know they are serious then I'll give my number. It might hurt the chances of finding a seller without providing a phone number, but I figure if they really want it then they will contact me whatever way.

That's a pretty good idea. I think that's what bothers me the most is the fact that they waste so much of my time over the phone, better yet in person.

I'm to the point now where if I have nothing better to do and am sitting at home I'll tell them to swing by. If I have even the smallest of plans I don't alter them a single bit, because it will be a waste anyway. Every vehicle I've sold on CL has been like this, I guess I should go with nickel ads or something. Or keep my truck! Maybe I'm stuck with it.

i had my 2002 pathfinder for sale for 7 months on craigslist, people would call, etc. the first person to test drive it, bought it without bargaining, within 24 hours, INCLUDING GETTING THE LOAN. i was like wtf? lol.

i think what you did, was post in the ford area on craigslist.. good luck with your chevy. (eewww)

Flakes? certainly.

I find that CL is so easily accesible for many that it's just convient for many to schedule times to look at items for sale when time they are scheduling is not realistic for them or the price is too much. They email you requesting more pictures of items your selling, etc. Basially, CL is total convience to any buyer. I agree with Justin, I have had great luck using Craigslist for both buying and selling, but its simple to see how the non buyers are easily brought into an item they cant afford and become azzes about it.

I try make things as painless as possible.

My last purchase was a 1987 Subaru Justy (dont laugh). I emailed the guy with an offer, told him at that price, I will pick it up the following day. I ended up meeting the guys son. Gave him the cash. He asks, "dont you want to test drive it?" I told him, "well you drove it from Portland and it made it here, thats good enough for me!"

But yes, any moron can list whatever they wan on CL, its nothing like eBay where you have reputable dealers, feedback, etc. Its unfortunate, because there is some cool stuff out there and the guy who says "motivated to seel" or "need to sell" etc, is often times the one who does not return phone calls or email back.