Are Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors worth it?

I think it was COramprat that said:

"I work at a major airport and I see huge planes every day. If drilled and slotted was so good, then why aren't airplanes using the technology?"

How often do airplanes have to stop? I dont see many Jets hitting the brakes every 30 seconds before they enter a corner! They hardly have to worry about brake fade!!

Ask yourself why supercars use drilled or slotted rotors...? Thats a little more relevant.

Porsche Carrera GT or Ferrari 599 for example.

• Sponsors (?)

How often do airplanes have to stop? I dont see many Jets hitting the brakes every 30 seconds before they enter a corner! They hardly have to worry about brake fade!!

Ask yourself why supercars use drilled or slotted rotors...? Thats a little more relevant.

+1

Not that they work, but that is a WAY better comparison.

Actually with all due repsect aircrat rotors are made with different materials than automobiles. They deal with ALOT more heat that automobiles. A greater significant amount of stress is applied to stop aircrafts. The pads get changed often. But I do agree they are not drilled or slotted. You can get burned even by approaching them directly in front as a matter of fact.:D

I think it was COramprat that said:

"I work at a major airport and I see huge planes every day. If drilled and slotted was so good, then why aren't airplanes using the technology?"

The large jets donot use cross drilled rotors as they are prone to cracking when heated and cooled. These aircraft go through some major temperature variations anywhere from 1,000 degrees plus to -60 degrees +. The cross drilled rotors would also eat their pads which would cost the airliners more money in maintanance. these are just a few reasons.

Huge airliers have to be able to stop with a full load(200,000 lbs or greater) with just their brakes i.e. no thrust reversers, spoilers ect. all that going upwards of 200 mph I think brake fade is pretty relevant in that respect. I agree with you that supercars are a little better example than huge airliners. But its also amazing to me how much technology is taken from aviation and put to use in supercars i.e. carbon composites, honeycomb panels, Alloys, turbine technology, AN fittings ect. ect.

Now we are getting deep but aircraft are using carbon carbon brakes.
They last much longer, operate at much higher temps and are more reliable.
Many have 5 or 6 rotors much like a multi stage clutch setup and damn do they get hot.

I am not a fan of slotted or drilled rotors for street cars for all of the downsides mentioned in the other posts.
IMO They have no place on the street and are mostly for the bling factor.

Dwayne

It wasn't me that made the aircraft comparison but I see the significance.

Brake fade is the demon when driving into corners and hard stops. That is why they are available. But for everyday driving they are either a waste or for looks. They don't last as long (ie crack) and are hard on pads. On the flip side you can get cheap regular rotors and they won't last as long either. I pay the extra to get the good stuff because I don't want to find out my bargin rotor/pads was the reason I plowed into a car in front of me. My and my families lives are worth more than the few bucks I would save buying Ching Ding Chow rotors from Mandrin China.

That's a much better example.

The airplane analogy is poor as their brakes are designed differently. They must stop the plane from an aborted take off. I've seen some testing of the 777 during a 0-V1-0 brake test and every brake caught on fire after that...and it was acceptable.

Anyway, you can't compare a $150,000+ supercars brakes to a 25,000 Mustang's brakes. The rotor materials and pad compounds are different as well as the fact that most of these supercars are running 13"+ brakes with 6-piston calipers or equivalent. There's a big difference between that and slapping a crossdrilled rotor on a car with 11" brakes.

I for one am glad of the info that has been posted. I too have always wondered if these type of rotors were any better. Now I have learned something and will stay away from them. My car is a summertime DD and wouldn't need these.
Thanks guys. :nice:

I recently did a post with this picture with a wheel question and was wondering.

if possible can anyone tell me a little history on these brakes?... are they cobra converted, or just big aftermarket brakes, ideas on what brand?

867a9e8b.jpg

New '00 GT with LOTS of goodies and i'm still trying to figureout everything.

All I know is that these brakes stop on a dime :nice:

Not trying to hijack a thread or anything.
thanks

Attachments

• 867a9e8b.jpg
    867a9e8b.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 80
If you convert to the Cobra brakes do you have to change wheel size? Also are the Bullitt and Cobra brake kits the same thing? I saw the Bullitt kit somewhere and the rotors are red and say Cobra. I want to upgrade to the Cobra but want to keep the stock wheels.

Do you have 17" bullitt wheels?? If so they you are fine. The 13" brakes fit all Ford 17" Mustang wheels.

Yes, the Bulllit, Cobra, and Mach 1 all use the same front brakes. They are just painted different colors. Mach 1 brakes are usually the cheapest since they are just plain black. www.buyfordracing.com has the cheapest prices

Do you have 17" bullitt wheels?? If so they you are fine. The 13" brakes fit all Ford 17" Mustang wheels.

Yes, the Bulllit, Cobra, and Mach 1 all use the same front brakes. They are just painted different colors. Mach 1 brakes are usually the cheapest since they are just plain black. www.buyfordracing.com has the cheapest prices

and stangsuspension.com will match their prices too... and they sell MM stainless lines which you wanna buy while youre at it.

I have them, and I got them for cosmetic reasons. I drive my car once a week (maybe less), and was tired of seeing rusted discs behind brand new wheels. My car doesnt stop any better because im still using the stock calipers. Slotted/drilled rotors are purely cosmetic. However, i will say that the zinc coated ones barely rust after sitting around, so thats a bonus