Are N/A oil pans the same as the turbo ones?

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Well, I pulled the engine for my 2.3L turbo last night, this afternoon I'm tearing it apart to see why it was knocking all last year (more than likely a piston, but we'll see....).

My current oil pan is in pretty rough shape, I patched about 2 or 3 holes over the course of the last year with screws/jbweld to hold off until I could get some time to work on it (car is my daily driver and I needed it on the road).

I'll probably be doing some oil-pan shopping at the local scrapyards and we have a total of zero turbo cars in this city.
I was just wondering if the N/A oil pans will bolt up/work with the 2.3L turbo engine? Everything the same?

If not, anyone have a 2.3L turbo oil pan thats in decent shape they want to get rid of/sell? :D

Thanks for your time,
Meaty

• Sponsors (?)

All the pans are the same as far as I know except for the '87-88 Turbo Coupe pands which have the fitting on the driver's side for the low oil level sensor.

Also, something interesting I noted, I have an '84 oil pan and it has a baffle inside to help keep oil in the sump. However, the '87 TC pan I had did not have this baffle inside. So apparently Ford put these in early turbo oil pans but not the later ones. I don't know if they were in the n/a pans or not, but one of these baffles would be a nice thing to have (I made my own and welded it into the TC pan I'm using on my new engine)

Speaking of which, I'm not using that '84 pan so I could sell it to you if you want, but you might wanna check the junkyards first because shipping on a pan would probably be a little high.

Thanks for the info people.

It turns out my engine is an 87 TC engine that I put in my 90LX. I just found out my uncle still has my 2.3L N/A engine sitting in his garage from last year when I did the swap (I thought he had gotten rid of it). I figure I'll take the oil pan off that one and give it a shot, if not I'll try the scrap yards. I didn't even have the low-oil sensor hooked up when I did the swap, so not having it on the n/a pan is not a problem.

Thanks again :hail2:

Meaty