Are Optima batteries good on the Mustangs?

Red Dragon

Jan 23, 2003
Hi all,

My battery bit the big weeney today. It had discharged to the point of not being able to turn my engine over and it had only been setting for three weeks in a garage that didn't get below freezing. I charged it for an hour, but the amps did not come down. I looked at the health indicator on the battery and it was solid red. Not good.

So, instead of going to Ford to get another cheap battery under warrenty, I decided to get an Optima. However, Optima does not make a battery for a 2003 Mustang! :( I brought the old battery to the parts store and we found one that seemed to match up very well. I also got the "yellow" top battery for deep discharging. These batteries are for cars/trucks that have a lot of equipment (radios, CBs, computers, extra performance products that draw power, etc.) Because I have the Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump and boost-spark (both use amplifiers), and guages, I decided to go the yellow top route. The cold cranking amps on the old was 540 and cold cranking apms on the Optima is 720. According to Optima's web site, the yellow top is good for cars that sit around alot. Maybe this will help me at least in that department during the winter.

The battery did not fit, however. The base of the battery was slightly too long. I checked it over and decided to modify my battery tray. I had to cut two notches out of the back side of my tray so the round cells could stick out. It worked VERY well and the battery is tightened down fine.

Is anybody else using this battery with any luck? Any comments would be appreciated. Not that it really matters now, as I am commited because I installed it. But I would still like to hear how well these batteries perform (or don't perform).

• Sponsors (?)

Red Dragon said:
Hi all,

My battery bit the big weeney today. It had discharged to the point of not being able to turn my engine over and it had only been setting for three weeks in a garage that didn't get below freezing. I charged it for an hour, but the amps did not come down. I looked at the health indicator on the battery and it was solid red. Not good.

So, instead of going to Ford to get another cheap battery under warrenty, I decided to get an Optima. However, Optima does not make a battery for a 2003 Mustang! :( I brought the old battery to the parts store and we found one that seemed to match up very well. I also got the "yellow" top battery for deep discharging. These batteries are for cars/trucks that have a lot of equipment (radios, CBs, computers, extra performance products that draw power, etc.) Because I have the Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump and boost-spark (both use amplifiers), and guages, I decided to go the yellow top route. The cold cranking amps on the old was 540 and cold cranking apms on the Optima is 720. According to Optima's web site, the yellow top is good for cars that sit around alot. Maybe this will help me at least in that department during the winter.

The battery did not fit, however. The base of the battery was slightly too long. I checked it over and decided to modify my battery tray. I had to cut two notches out of the back side of my tray so the round cells could stick out. It worked VERY well and the battery is tightened down fine.

Is anybody else using this battery with any luck? Any comments would be appreciated. Not that it really matters now, as I am commited because I installed it. But I would still like to hear how well these batteries perform (or don't perform).

Believe it or not. Used the one out of my 88SS and so far no problems. :rlaugh:

optima1.jpg

Mine takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin. :D And it matches.

00BlackBeautyGT said:
What are the differences between the Red Top, Blue Top, & Yellow Top. Thinking about getting one but don't know the differences. My car is basically stock.
The Red Top is the standard battery. The Yellow is a deep cycle and the Blue is a deep cycle for marine use. Hope that clears things up. I have the Yellow Top and have had no problems.

i have optima yellow top on all my cars for the last 5 years, so I should be able to point out in/out.

One of the biggest advantage of the Optima(deep cycle battery) is that It can die up to 500 or more times befor it can no longer holds the charge. Normal battry, if you drain the charge few times, it can no longer be able to hold serfficient charge to turn car over. And due to its long reserve time, it can hold charge alot longer(say I can turn my radio on all night, with 90Amp amp, and it'll still turn car over in the morning). try that with your FoMoCo battery.

It is great battery if you park your car months at the time. becouse chances are, it'll crank after it sit for month at the time.

It does not have high cranking amp, however. My yellowtop optima is rated somewhere in 800 cranking Amp, and 650 or so coldcranking amp. I don't know if Number is right, but its not much. I think my international POS i have in my tercel is rated something like 1200 CA, and 950CCA.

It is definatlly a good investment. Fact it can compleatly drain to nothing 500 times means perhaps Battery might out last your engine. After all, we don't kill our battery that offten right? Plus it look good in my engine bay as well.

here is their site. for good info.

BDRs02BlkGT said:
The Red Top is the standard battery. The Yellow is a deep cycle and the Blue is a deep cycle for marine use. Hope that clears things up. I have the Yellow Top and have had no problems.

The red Top is also a deep cycle battery.

If you have a system in the car get the Yellow top. If you don't the Red top will work just fine.

AdRock said:
The red Top is also a deep cycle battery.

If you have a system in the car get the Yellow top. If you don't the Red top will work just fine.

The reds are NOT Deep Cycle. go to http://optimabatteries.com and read the bottom of the spec page for the reds. It specifically tells you they are not. The reds are an upgrade for standard batteries. The yellows are made for deep cycle use, such as for cars w/ systems like you said. People who let their cars sit for extended periods of time benefit from these batteries. The blue are similar to the yellows, but are made for marine use.

Spreadman said:
"A lot more"? They felt the same when I replaced mine. The stocker is full of water, and they weigh about the same.

Yeah, I thought someone told me a while back that their only downfall was that they weigh more than a regular battery :shrug: . I personally have never checked this out but I was just wondering.

Spreadman said:
"A lot more"? They felt the same when I replaced mine. The stocker is full of water, and they weigh about the same.

I think Deep cycle one is not filled with water, but with lead. I bought mine from this company in Florida. It was cheapest. 115bucks. But shipping was like 80 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :mad: :mad:

I will say that the red tops are pretty nice even if you have a system. I have never killed a red top and have had 1000+ watt systems in all my vehicles. granted that is not huge power I have never killed a battery. In my pickup I had a bad starter that was drawing close to 700amps and the thing started my truck for 2 months before I looked into why my truck was hard starting a bit. they are pretty tough. only way to go. If you are worried about wieght look into odyssey batteries. they are small as hell.

fastang96 said:
Yeah, I thought someone told me a while back that their only downfall was that they weigh more than a regular battery :shrug: . I personally have never checked this out but I was just wondering.
Well, if I was worried about weight, I'd be eating salads and not steak and potatoes. ;)