Are our wiper motors prone to failure?

TavisB

Founding Member
Sep 24, 1999
Pittsburgh, PA
I had a problem with my wipers coming on on their own and not stopping correctly about a year ago. It got bad to the point where they wouldn't work when I needed them (but would turn themselves on randomly when it was NOT raining) so I took it to the dealer. They said the motor was bad and replaced it. Now barely a year later its starting the same crap again.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've searched and haven't seen it mentioned.

Any ideas of why this thing is failing?

I'm going back to the dealer in an hour or so. I'll see what they have to say.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a suspicion that this might be related to a previous problem, so I just went outside and did some investigating, and sure enough I have a water leak. I had noticed the leak when the car was new, and the dealer investigated and found that there was a seam on the firewall that had not been welded. They said they had a "water expert" come in and check out the car. They said they filled the seam with a sealant and it should be good. Well, its still leaking. The padding under the carpet is very wet. I also had a issue with a brand new battery going dead over a few weeks when the car was just sitting. I'm betting that had something to do with the water as well.

This should have all been taken care of under warranty but now I'm sure I'll have to pay for their crappy repair work. I'm about ready to trade this thing in on a Japanese car :mad:.

Did you solve your problem? I just developed this same issue today on the way to work... they turn on and off randomly.

the battery dying is an issue I have had as well but I think thats because the windows have power all the time so that they drop when you open the door...but thats just my thought process.