Are ricers just born stupid??

rio95

Nov 18, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
On the way home from a movie a few hours ago a neon r/t (not a SRT) chased me down on the highway so I let him get next to me and I dropped it in third and pulled ahead. Then we both got off the highway, b/c he was following me, and he tries to do a ricer fly-by, but I saw him coming in my side mirror, so I dropped it in second and pulled far away from him. By this time I just wanted to get home, but then we ended up at a red light and he rolls the window down and says "I'm not really hungry, but I guess I could eat a stang!" What a joke. Then he kept going "No, seriously I'll walk all over your a$$ you piece of sh$$! Follow me!" Then he floored it and tried to get me to turn with him, but I kept going straight. He was talking so much trash and he wasn't even nice about it. He sounded like he wanted to kick my A$$ or something. Whatever! His white neon r/t and big spoiler were cute though. I mean I'm sure that those three pillar guages he had added 30 horse and the two blue strips added another 20. Anyways, I'm guessing he had nitrous on it or something, thats probably why he wanted to go somewhere rather than just proveing his point when he had a chance. I didn't even hear a turbo, so maybe it was stock. haha

• Sponsors (?)

Little offended by the three guage in the pillar thing. j/k (I just installed a tri-piller setup)

They pull up next to me all the time reving. Glad he got what he deserved. Embarrasment. Just a sore loser. If I get beat, ricer or not, I would still shake the guys hand if he was cool. He either had a faster car, or was a better driver.

I can't stand those egotixtical ricers. Sad thing is, I gotta few stang owners out here that act like ricers. Really ticks me off.

I feel your pain, I get "challenged", if you could really call it that, by ricers all the time. Nothin like tryin to go get a bite to eat with some friends and havin to deal with 20 ricers revvin their lawn mowers at you. I usually just ignore them, but there was a guy in our little convoy to a show a few weeks ago with an Integra which everyone was talkin big about, how it had a turbo and all this sh**. He kept getting on my ass on the highway, till finally I handed him his ass. He claimed he was running 20lbs of boost (it was turbo cuz you could hear it), but theres no way he was running more than about 5 psi, this thing was slow as balls. To make a long story short, all the guys in the group then respected me cuz I took out their "top dog", from that point on, the trip was fun cuz no one would mess with me hehe.

Every once in a while, you have to make an example of a ricer or two.

ok i hate to get on my soap box, and nobody cares anyway just wanted to vent. The nickname "ricer" is derived from the term "rice burner" which i believe came about in the late 70's during the oil crisis when asian cars started becoming more popular because of their good gas mileage. many red blooded americans were still a little touchy about anything from asia because of the war. So any way some ignorant bigit started calling them rice burners.

now if it ended there it wouldn't bug me so much. but now it is only getting more widespread. do we honestly think it ok to label a car or a person or group of people based on nothing more than the country of origin of the car they drive. i just think it is sad.

the really sad part is the car that this thread was started for was an american built car. so has it spread to any performance based 4 banger. do they all fall into the "ricer" catagory, because i'm sure the early 80's svo guys would love to know that they are now to "ricey" because what they drive doesn't have enough cylinders.

i know to a lot of people it is no big deal, but if you really stop and think about it if we don't try and stop it now, will it just get worse?

if you read this all i thank you, whether you agree or not. i just wanted to get some people thinking. :shrug: :flag:

the really sad part is the car that this thread was started for was an american built car. so has it spread to any performance based 4 banger. do they all fall into the "ricer" catagory, because i'm sure the early 80's svo guys would love to know that they are now to "ricey" because what they drive doesn't have enough cylinders.

i know to a lot of people it is no big deal, but if you really stop and think about it if we don't try and stop it now, will it just get worse?

if you read this all i thank you, whether you agree or not. i just wanted to get some people thinking. :shrug: :flag:

You don't have to be a certain age, race, ethnicity, or even drive a certian kind of car to be a RICER. A ricer is a person who "hops up" a car so that it will look cool. This person will have very little real understanding of the car. The money spent is not to make the car perform better, but to provide bragging rights. "Yeah, I got the $900 10" turbo muffler with purple neon trim from Blah Blah Blah."

Sadly enough I have seen ricer Mustangs. Some were 4cyl, some 6cyl. It does not matter what engine you have or what car its in.

I spoke to a guy once who tried to tell me that his Prelude could run in the mid 11's with a cold air intake and full exhaust. I have never had my car to a track, but I know that was a crock. The really sad part is that he truely believed his car was that fast! To me this is the definition of ricer. If a 4 cyl Mustang owner had said this to me, he too would be a ricer. A V8 owner might even qualify as a ricer by saying that.

Stupid is as stupid does.

vristang said:
You don't have to be a certain age, race, ethnicity, or even drive a certian kind of car to be a RICER. A ricer is a person who "hops up" a car so that it will look cool. This person will have very little real understanding of the car. The money spent is not to make the car perform better, but to provide bragging rights. "Yeah, I got the $900 10" turbo muffler with purple neon trim from Blah Blah Blah."

Sadly enough I have seen ricer Mustangs. Some were 4cyl, some 6cyl. It does not matter what engine you have or what car its in.

I spoke to a guy once who tried to tell me that his Prelude could run in the mid 11's with a cold air intake and full exhaust. I have never had my car to a track, but I know that was a crock. The really sad part is that he truely believed his car was that fast! To me this is the definition of ricer. If a 4 cyl Mustang owner had said this to me, he too would be a ricer. A V8 owner might even qualify as a ricer by saying that.

Stupid is as stupid does.
that is my point. there is no rhyme or reason to that name anymore so why use it. i bought my mustang about 6 months ago and the only thing i have done so far is $1900 worth of wheels and tires. am i a ricer because i could have gotten a pretty good hci combo with that money. people have different priorities. that doesn't make them stupid. 75% of the time i have an 8 month old girl in the back seat of my car, i don't need 400rwhp right now. as for claims made by the stupid, the liers, or any combination of both, they exist regardless of what type of car they drive, so why group them under a title which is inappropriate and just plain offensive to others.

yea but your upgrading the exterior of a car that looks pretty good to start with. When I see nice rims on a 87 civic, I dont understand why the driver did that. Or somone that throws an aftermarket hood or exhaust on a hyundai. I can understand if somones putting a new hood or exhaust on an evo or wrx, but please dont waste money on economy cars.

94yellowsleeper said:
ok i hate to get on my soap box, and nobody cares anyway just wanted to vent. The nickname "ricer" is derived from the term "rice burner" which i believe came about in the late 70's during the oil crisis when asian cars started becoming more popular because of their good gas mileage. many red blooded americans were still a little touchy about anything from asia because of the war. So any way some ignorant bigit started calling them rice burners.

now if it ended there it wouldn't bug me so much. but now it is only getting more widespread. do we honestly think it ok to label a car or a person or group of people based on nothing more than the country of origin of the car they drive. i just think it is sad.

I use the nickname RICER to refer to any person (any number of cylinders) that has the audacity to waste my time by thinking he can beat me cuz he has a reverse glow gauge kit. RICER is a plague that has been furthered by the infection brought on by the fast and furious movies. It is why I have to be in my apartment with all windows closed to hear anyone on the phone cuz some damn lawn mower with no muffler is screamin at 10.000 rpm outside my window cuz the roads are wet and his pathetic ass can finally do a burnout.

Don't act like these pests don't deserve a derogatory name

SVO guys have not and will not be referred to as ricers, so I don;t know where you got that idea from

being a RICER is an attitude, no matter what you drive, it just so happens most of these jackasses drive imports...I know some ricers that drive stangs, hell, even one that drives a viper...so don't act like we're wrong in referring to them as ricers, its a classification of an attitude

speaking of your rims/tires, did you get them yet, any pics?

95riosnake said:
I use the nickname RICER to refer to any person (any number of cylinders) that has the audacity to waste my time by thinking he can beat me cuz he has a reverse glow gauge kit. RICER is a plague that has been furthered by the infection brought on by the fast and furious movies. It is why I have to be in my apartment with all windows closed to hear anyone on the phone cuz some damn lawn mower with no muffler is screamin at 10.000 rpm outside my window cuz the roads are wet and his pathetic ass can finally do a burnout.

Don't act like these pests don't deserve a derogatory name

SVO guys have not and will not be referred to as ricers, so I don;t know where you got that idea from

being a RICER is an attitude, no matter what you drive, it just so happens most of these jackasses drive imports...I know some ricers that drive stangs, hell, even one that drives a viper...so don't act like we're wrong in referring to them as ricers, its a classification of an attitude

speaking of your rims/tires, did you get them yet, any pics?
i totally agree that some idiots deserve a name that is less than flattering. but why does it have to be ethnicly based? why not just call them losers, dumbasses, or better yet posers because that is what they really are.

by the way i oredered my wheels friday. finally decided on the chrome bullits. hopefully they will be here by the end of the week :banana:

94yellowsleeper said:
that is my point. there is no rhyme or reason to that name anymore so why use it. i bought my mustang about 6 months ago and the only thing i have done so far is $1900 worth of wheels and tires. am i a ricer because i could have gotten a pretty good hci combo with that money. people have different priorities. that doesn't make them stupid. 75% of the time i have an 8 month old girl in the back seat of my car, i don't need 400rwhp right now. as for claims made by the stupid, the liers, or any combination of both, they exist regardless of what type of car they drive, so why group them under a title which is inappropriate and just plain offensive to others.
I'm starting to see your point. The origin of the word ricer was somewhat ethnic. I don't care what the origin of the word was though, I am using it today, not 30yrs ago. The meaning of alot of words will change with time. Gay used to just mean happy. Now it indicates homosexuality.
No you do not qualify as a ricer. You did not say that your car would run the 1/4 mi faster with larger rims, which have greater rotational inertia.
As far as different priorities, I have seen clean good looking cars that were otherwise stock.

You may be a ricer if...
You have a rear wing that is taller than the roof of your car.
You have neon on your muffler.
Your muffler can flow ten times the air your engine can displace.
You have contingency stickers, but no parts from those companies.
You think larger rims will make the car faster.
You read car magazines that have more pictures of girls than cars.

This list could on, and on, and on.