Are these 4.6l V8s good engines?

999cm999

May 26, 2011
I test drove a Mustang again today, one that I'm thinking about buying.

It's a 2000 GT auto.

I was wondering about these 4.6 V8 engines. They don't seem as "peppy" as the 89 5.0 GT I used to have.

Actually today, for some reason, it felt slower than my '05 Durango with a Hemi. I know the Hemi is a 5.7l, but it's also A LOT heavier.

So I was just wondering if these engines can hold their own, when slightly modified.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Stock for stock a 2000 GT Mustang will walk all over a 5.0 Fox body. The old 5.0 ran out of steam at 5K rpm's while the 4.6 will pull all the way to 6K. Wind that car out to redline and you'll see what I mean.

Really? I just can't see this 2000 4.6 beating my 89 5.0. Maybe after 90 MPH but not in 0-60 or 1/4 mile....

Is your 89 modded? Like I said stock for stock the 2000 GT wins every time. 99-04 GT's run mid-low 14 second 1/4 mile times, while the fox body GT's run low-mid 15's.

With full exhaust (including headers), UDP's, CAI, TB, plenum, 4.10's and a tune a 99-04 GT will run a respectable 1/4 mile and have somewhere around 270 RWHP.

The greatest thing about the modular engines as opposed to the old pushrod engines is they provide excellent driveability, reliability, and they are much more smooth and refined to drive.

I don't have the 89 anymore...but no, it wasn't modded.

Are parts hard to find since Mustangs don't use the 4.6 any more?

f-no.... ford installed the 4.6 2V engine in EVERYTHING! Trucks, SUV's, large sedans, and the Mustangs. Spare parts are everywhere. Also, FWIW, I have 140K on mine w/ most of the bolt-ons and cams and I drive it like I stole it every day and she still runs like the day I bought her 8 years ago, doesn't drip any fluids, and doesn't burn any oil.

What about the handling of these GTs? Are they good? I know my old 89 wasn't the best on the curves.

They have very similar suspension to your 89. That said, the SN-95 platform was much more refined and will provide you better ride and handling over the fox body w/ less squeaks, rattles, and general looseness. The 4-link rear really holds these cars back from handling, as well as the poor weight distribution (it's close to 60/40 f/r). That said, there are many aftermarket components that can certainly improve the shortcomings of a stock Mustang.

full length subframe connectors (FLSFC)
lowering springs
good set of shocks/struts
castor/camber plates (CC)
lower control arms (LCA)
tires

If you were to do all six of the items on this list it would make a tremendous improvement in the handling ability of the Mustang.

As you can see in my sig, I've installed MM FLSFC's, MM LCA's, Eibach springs, and Tokiko HP (blue) shocks/struts. I love driving my car on twisty roads, I think it handles quite well.

I'd take the Mustang anyday over a 1987 vette. That year isn't very attractive, the engine is just an LT-1, and it won't be nearly as reliable as a 13 year newer Mustang. You can easily mod the Mustang and the mods for the stang are relatively inexpensive. I'm not a Ford nutswinger either, and if you were debating between a 2000 Vette or a 2000 stang, I'd recommend the Vette hands down.

yeah the 87 I'm looking at is pretty rattly...the carpet is coming up in places, some of the plastic molding is cracked, a few of the rubber gaskets around the windows needed replaced...but the engine is torquey and the exahust sound is awesome

I'll tell you what, go to youtube and listen to some 4.6 Mustang's with exhaust... MAC, Magnaflow, and Bassani all sound sweet... Most gearheads will agree that there is nothing that sounds better than a 4.6 w/ exhaust. Hell even the GM crowd will give credit where credit is due and acknowledge that Mustang > all in the exhaust sound department.

Coming from a guy that has always owned GM vehicles, I wouldn't mess with that Vette. Sounds like it needs work and the LT1 can be a pain. They're decent engines but Optispark sucks and the Aftermarket isn't nearly as big as the 4.6. LS1 stile the thunder kind of early.

The 1987 Corvette didn't have a LT1...it had a L98. It was rated for 230hp. The LT1 didn't go into the Corvette until 1992 if I remember correctly. Usually the 1987's with L98's were mated to a Muncie 4+3...possibly the worst transmission I have ever had the chore of using. It had decent low end torque, but was completely dead past about 4600 RPM.

There is no real decision to make here as far as I can tell. That 1987 Corvette is a car I would cross the street to avoid. It is nearly 25 years old compared to the 11 of the mustang gt. Looks are a matter of opinion, but the potential of these two cars clearly favors the mustang when they are compared mechanically. Unless a restoration project is what you had in mind, go for the Mustang.

I had a few 5.0 fox's and I also had an sn95 5.0. I purchased an 03 GT with the 4.6 about a year and a half ago. At first I though the older 5.0s had more power down low. They make there power at 3k, versus 4k in the 4.6. If you push the 4.6 through its entire power band it will kill the older 5.0's. If you install some 373 gears or even some 4.10 gears you will def feel much more power down low!!!!

I'll tell you what, go to youtube and listen to some 4.6 Mustang's with exhaust... MAC, Magnaflow, and Bassani all sound sweet... Most gearheads will agree that there is nothing that sounds better than a 4.6 w/ exhaust. Hell even the GM crowd will give credit where credit is due and acknowledge that Mustang > all in the exhaust sound department.

hmm.. i'm a mustang guy, a ford guy all my life but i have to say, one day several years ago i heard a trans-am, 2000 model or something, whatever the last year was they were made. anyways i wish i could have found out the exhaust system it had. this mofo wasn't cammed, but it sounded like a beast from hell, a sound i have yet to hear a mustang/cobra produce. i was with my buddy in his '93 who loved to race but he wouldn't approach this car at all, he was impressed and intimidated.

that said, its also the only trans-am or camaro i've heard that sounded nice.

Is your 89 modded? Like I said stock for stock the 2000 GT wins every time. 99-04 GT's run mid-low 14 second 1/4 mile times, while the fox body GT's run low-mid 15's.

With full exhaust (including headers), UDP's, CAI, TB, plenum, 4.10's and a tune a 99-04 GT will run a respectable 1/4 mile and have somewhere around 270 RWHP.

The greatest thing about the modular engines as opposed to the old pushrod engines is they provide excellent driveability, reliability, and they are much more smooth and refined to drive.

On what planet are the Fox Body GTs low-mid 15 second cars? They are EASILY mid-low 14 second cars, stock, in proper tune, in good weather. I'm not talking about as driven by the grandma staffers at Motor Trend.

I'd say that a well driven 99+ GT is about on par with the Fox Body 5.0s. The difference is about a mile wide when it comes to chassis refinement (despite the fact that the SN95 is just a band-aided Fox-3), braking, and interior quality. But performance wise, they're roughly on par out of the box.