Are these convertible woes normal?

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
I own a '92 LX 'Vert and have had these problems since I first got the car in 2003:

1. The roof/windshield contact is very poor and that there is a fairly large gap even when the hooks are tightened as far as it'll go. This results in two major things happening: The first is air rushes in between this gap at higher speeds, thus creating a very annoying noise similar to driving with all your windows rolled down at highway speed. It's louder then the drone from my Magnaflows, and not even my car stereo can drown it out (not without major distortion anyways). However, I wonder if this is normal for verts in general, because I have seen other verts down the highway (some newer then mine) and notice a bulge coming from the roof, and I'm guessing that maybe air getting trapped in the roof (This isn't just 'Stang convertibles either I see it on). The second thing that happens is because of this gap, water gets in easily even in light rain. Don't even ask me about car washes.

2. The weather stripping is crap all around. I don't expect it to be waterproof, but let's put it this way: When I go to a car wash with a hardtop vehicle, it doesn't let any water in. When I go with my vert, every single piece of weatherstrip fails. I've popped open the trunk and found a swimming pool caused by rain, which isn't really as high pressure as a car wash.

So in conclusion, are these problems normal and can they be fixed at all?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine sometimes leaks at the top where it meets the windshield frame. Not sure what the variable is so that it leaks only once in a while, but I don't drive it enough to really care. I do tend to get caught in rain a lot though for someone who never drives the thing :rlaugh: But I think I just need a new top and to have them fit it nicely.

Nowhere else has ever leaked. I'd suggest replacing the weatherstripping for sure.

I think you need a new top and seals. the top will shrink as it ages causing it to not fit correctly. even if you put new seals on as it is, I think you will still have probs.
I put new seals and top on my 93 and the noise problem went away and I dont have any issues with rain water, but a touchless carwash will completely overpower it. may as well wear swim trunks, cause you are going to get wet.

I think you need a new top and seals. the top will shrink as it ages causing it to not fit correctly. even if you put new seals on as it is, I think you will still have probs.
I put new seals and top on my 93 and the noise problem went away and I dont have any issues with rain water, but a touchless carwash will completely overpower it. may as well wear swim trunks, cause you are going to get wet.

That's what I was thinking, might as well just hand-wash.

your frame is probably bent and the top isn't lining up because of that.

A possiblity because when I put the top down, there's a point where the top seems to "snag" and not move, and I have to physically give the top a push to help the motor bring down the top. This doesn't happen while putting it up, though.

there are several points on the frame where it can come out of adjustment and cause it to not operate properly. an upholstery shop will be able to make all the proper changes when the new top is installed.

I have an 89 that does the same thing. I recently took out the rear middle portion of the top (part with the window) to work on the seal. Without the center strip the top closes perfectly. I suspect that the top shrank over the years (also causing my sealing problems).

I am going to see if I can put it back on a little higher to relieve the stress, otherwise I know that 50resto sells replacement pieces as well as weatherstrip.

regards

Ooops..if you are asking me, I meant the term generically--the seal of the rear window to the top. The special "glass threading" has been fraying.

I am experimenting with Gorilla Glue. Did wonders putting trim back on my Jeep :D

The top fits almost perfectly without the window section. I am hoping that bolting the rear portion on now will alleviate my lack of a good seal in the front. If that doesn't work I am thinking of getting a long thick run of weather stripping and putting on the top of the windshield.

regards