Are these headers worth it.

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by Bad Snake II, Dec 3, 2003.

1. I have a question about a set of headers I would like to buy. I have a 68 coupe 289, and a manual transmission, this really narrows the field for options. The thing that really sold me on these headers is they have a unique sound and you don't have to put the clutch assembly in at the same time as the headers like the hookers. The headers are TRI-Y and I am going to get them in the silver powder coat. The thing is they cost $399.99 retail and if you find them on ebay at the right time they will still cost over $160. The thing is I had to get my car running after I rebuilt it and so the auto trany headers wouldn't fit, so I bought one set of headers off of ebay and they were for a 87 on up fox body, no fit :bang: , I bought a set at a swap meet they were for a 74 on up, no fit :bang: , and the last set I bought was from a friend of mine he still had the box for them and they were for a 67-68 small block but they turned out to be for a tremic, no fit :bang: :bang: . So I ended up putting manifolds on to get it running and getting a $180 exhaust lengthening to fit, total I spent over $500 :bang: and still have most of the other headers. As you should see this is getting old, if I would have known about the TRI Y's I would have bought them hands down but 20/20 hine sight is perfect. So what do you guys think of these headers.
    God Bless our troops!
  2. Still have the fox headers? Wanna sell 'em?
  3. still have em. They are powder coated half a$$, but still look deacent. I will try to get you some pics.
  4. I guess by now you have learned that headers are application specific. What Tri-Ys run $400? I have a set of ebay special tri-Y's that were used and nickel chromed and only set me back $80. They fit great, but this is in an 89 Ranger ( V-8) I have heard that they don't fit so great in the Stangs. I have never heard of any header being specific to Tremecs though. The tremec is similar in dimensions to your, (I assume you have a Toploader?) transmission ( 3 or 4 speed? ) Sometimes you have to make adjustments to headers to make them fit ( the BFH method) I would go back and try those "tremec" headers again. You sometimes have to reposition the motor to get them in too ( an engine hoist or jack it up) As far as a unique sound, mine don't sound any different when uncorked than any other header I've owned.
  5. i got a set of tri y's used as well for about $70, they fit beautifully with a power steering ram drop. same story for our '67 vert...those $400 tri y's are way too pricey, if you want them new, the $150 tri y's work just fine, or find a used set on ebay like i did
  6. Fox body? They look more like 4wd pickup truck headers. They'd be draggin the ground in even a stock ride height Fox body Stang.