Are these times & mph low or is it just me?

Took my other Stang out to the 1/8th this past weekend!

Timing @16 Degree's
Fuel Pressure at 38psi

Mods are as follows
Cobra Intake
E-Cam
1.6 Rockers
Edelbrock Performer Heads
Mac 3/4 Long tubes
Mac 3inch Pro Chamber
One Chamber 3inch Dumps
Pullys
24lb injecter's
Alum DS
3.73s
65MM TB
75 Mass Air

Best run was a 8.3 @ 81.97 mph! with a 1.87 60t

The other where

[email protected] 1.9 60ft

[email protected] 2.1 60ft

I know this car has more in it! I feel like it should be MPH alot higher threw the traps! I was thinking in the range of 84 maybe 85 in the traps!

81 mph is prettly low for my mods I think or am I just being picky! :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know much about the 1/8th mile- I've never run one myself. I think a lot of it has to do with your 60ft's and your gearing. A huge part of the 1/4 mile is in the launch. If your 60ft is bad it has a major effect on your entire run. I would assume that this is the case x 2 with the 8th mile. Judging by your 60ft's you were on radials- that's gonna really hurt. 1.87 is really good on a radial though! 3.73 is more of a 1/4 mile gear. I think that maybe you are being a little picky. I also think that somebody with a little more 1/8 mile experience should chime in........

what was the temperature and humidity outside. it was probably hot as hell and i also see you are from texas. that will kill it alot. was this on slicks?

Considering how you ran it on street tires, and stock suspension, your MPH is good for the ET, a low MPH would be in the mid-high 70's. I was running similar times with my old setup until I did the suspension and removed the back seat then the mph went to 85mph, but the ET's stayed the same, go figure.

90mustangGT said:
Considering how you ran it on street tires, and stock suspension, your MPH is good for the ET, a low MPH would be in the mid-high 70's. I was running similar times with my old setup until I did the suspension and removed the back seat then the mph went to 85mph, but the ET's stayed the same, go figure.

I am just concerned that this being a HCI car, I though it would mph alot more!

I don't know much about the Edelbrock heads but it seems to me if you had TFS heads you would be chocking them down with the Cobra intake and 65mm TB.

I don't know what your car weighs but 81 mph in an 1/8th at 8.4's isn't bad. I know a lot of guys who would like to run that.

ohhhh....I didn't even think about the temp. High temps will kill air and performance. Also, those 60ft times aren't that great for a DR that size (however-the heat could be making the the track slick). I don't think that the 3" exhaust is helping either.

I agree the time is good for the mph, must be some nice shifting going on inside the car.

Next time out, get the d/a right after your runs to better see where the cars performance sits with regard to weather.
Hot and humid could be 3000 d/a or 6200 d/a. ... big difference in how the car will run.

I'm confused on the tire size 35/50...

QDRHRSE said:
ohhhh....I didn't even think about the temp. High temps will kill air and performance. Also, those 60ft times aren't that great for a DR that size (however-the heat could be making the the track slick). I don't think that the 3" exhaust is helping either.

I agree with both points. It seems like you have way more exhaust than you need.

kck6894 said:
I don't know much about the Edelbrock heads but it seems to me if you had TFS heads you would be chocking them down with the Cobra intake and 65mm TB.

I don't have TFS Heads though! The Edelbrock Performers have the 1.90 & 1.60 valves! So the Intake should be flowing enough for these heads! I have been searching around on the search forum & everyone with Heads & Cam & Intake is running 84 85 mph in the 1/8th! I am sure I am losing 1mph becasue of the heat! I am just going through my head & wondering what I can do to help get this combo in the 85 mph range in the 1/8th mile!

I was thinking about changing the following!

MAS AIR METER
NEW Mass Air!
OLD 75 Pro M Bullet
NEW 80MM Pro-M Conical Air filter Do you think any gains from this

EXHAUST
OLD- 3INCH PRO CHAMBER & 3INCH ONE CHAMBER FLOWS DUMPED

NEW- 2 1/2 inch H-PIPE & 2 1/2 INCH 2 CHAMBER FLOWS DUMPED
I think the 3inch Exhaust is killing me!

Do you think this will gain me anyting by going with a smaller exhuast?

1BAD93LX said:
I don't have TFS Heads though! The Edelbrock Performers have the 1.90 & 1.60 valves! So the Intake should be flowing enough for these heads! I have been searching around on the search forum & everyone with Heads & Cam & Intake is running 84 85 mph in the 1/8th! I am sure I am losing 1mph becasue of the heat! I am just going through my head & wondering what I can do to help get this combo in the 85 mph range in the 1/8th mile!

MAS AIR METER
NEW Mass Air!
OLD 75 Pro M Bullet

EXHAUST

PLus my one buddy who has everything I have Except the only diffrence is

Stock Heads
F-Cam

He ran in the heat a 8.3 with a 1.7 @81.83 mph & that was on stock heads! WTF! :rolleyes:

1BAD93LX said:

MAS AIR METER
NEW Mass Air!
OLD 75 Pro M Bullet

EXHAUST

I do think the 2 1/2 will help. You should pick up some torque and midrange. It's liable to scavange better too. Don't forget the headers they are also to big. 1 5/8 would work much better I think

I think I would look more towards a Throttle body before the Mass Air

Your engine combo is really good. It sounds like you are trying to make good low and mid range power. The small valve heads and Cobra intake should create a lot of port velocity and the result should be a very responsive motor. You could be losing a tremendous amount of power through the big exhaust.

What nobody has mentioned here is that Ford admits that the 24lb injectors do not atomize fuel properly below 40 pounds of fuel pressure. Turn up your pressure to about 42 pounds and you will see an improvement. I have given this advice to friends at the track and they have seen anywhere from a couple tenths to a half a second improvement in their 1/4 mile times.

1BAD93LX said:

MAS AIR METER
NEW Mass Air!
OLD 75 Pro M Bullet

EXHAUST

just for a comparision i have the same heads as you but a performer rpm intake and stock cam .
i do have 2.5 exhaust and 4.10 gears but i have seen 88+ mph in the 1/8 and am expecting maybe a 2+ mph gain with a custom cam .

its got more in it .

First of all get the car to the dyno to see where the air/fuel ratio is at.

My car with almost the same setup back in the day went 7.9 at 86 with a 1.75 60ft. The 1/4 came up in 12.4 at 108.6mph. I changed my cobra intake to an edelbrock performer rpm2, tuned the car with fuel pressure and timing, and added an electric water pump...the car went 12.10 at 112.8. My car does have a worked AOD so im not sure how the times would really relate to your car. At the time the car was putting down 296rwhp and 310rwtq.

I switched to 1 3/4in long tubes and a Mac prochamber over 1 5/8in shortys and off road pipe. Also changed my e-cam to an FTI cam, got an Anderson Ford PMS, and had my edelbrock heads (1.90 1.60) ported...7.37 at 94.5 which ended up being an 11.54 at 118.1 on an extremely cold night. In hotter weather the car is almost 5 tenths and 5mph off of that run. The car puts down 334rwhp and 322rwtq now.

My car gained 6rwhp from switching a 73mm c+l meter to an 80mm Pro-M. The car needed to be tuned with the PMS for the bigger meter but it did make more power. With the addition of the PMS my car picked up 16rwhp over the best that I could do with fuel pressure and timing...money well spent!

I say keep the exhaust, get the car tuned, and run the car when it gets alittle bit colder out. Let the car cool down and ice the intake also.

I'm not saying copy everything that i've done...im just listing what has worked for me.

Andrew

Are there any tips that I can do to tune my combo in! I am really dissapointed wiht the mph! I was thinking of doing the following

Setting the Timing to 14 degree's
Fuel Pressure 40 psi
Cleaning my Pro M with some Electric spray cleaner
Changing to a 2 1/2inch Exhaust System from the the longtubes back!
Adding a 1inch Cobra Intake spacer
Doing a full tune up
NGK PLugs
Fuel Filter
PCV Valve
Synthtic Oil

Any other Idea's would be great, Just something to get the combo back to where is suppose to be! I am missing about 3 mph somewhere?

Any Other Idea's?