Are twin turbo's worth the extra effort? pics and plans inside

• Sponsors (?)

You CAN make plenty of power with a blower...a turbo can make 1000rw, so can a blower just need the right one..just depends on ALOT more factors than you guys take in consideration. You guys like um casue thy sound coo, or cause everyone is doin it..and so on. Hands down the turbo IS the better power adder no argue, but if you guys think just cause you have a turbo you are gonna beat a blower car you are sorely mistaken...the Turbo/Blower war can go on forever..its to each his own and what/how he builds the car.
It is always competitve racing when the blower/turbo cars go at it.

Moneypit heres what I say..
Get a T76 minimum...
Buy the turbo of choice, wastegate, and intercooler and have some reputible fabricator custom build your setup..Trust me you will be much happier.
This is my plan if I ever decide to get a Dart block..but Debt and me dont go good together so I dont see that happenin.

Chris

moneypit94 said:
My new low compression 427w is about done (Needs an Intake) and i will be cleaning up the engine bay and hiding things to make it nicer to work on and look at.

Nobody makes a twin turbo kit for a 94. The only person who makes a single turbo kit big enough to handle the power i want is hp and even then im a little skeptical. Their answer to my setup is putting an 88mm turbo on there standard kit. But thats kind of restrictive with only a 3 1/2" down pipe.

Now they make a twin turbo kit for the 96+ mustangs that hide up front in the fenderwells. They suggested not trying to use the kit on the 94/95 cars because of all the little differences.

Would it be worth trying to buy the parts of the 96+ kit i need and fabricating the rest myself. like use the same intercooler and tubing to the intercooler like in the pic below? and then fab the rest?

Gully%20Front%20View%20without%20bumper%20-%20JPEG.jpg

Its a difference of using probably two 57mm turbos with 3" downpipes or using 1 88mm turbo with a 3 1/2 inch downpipe?
If you go to the N.W section on here and ask for pog then he can maybe help i beleve his twins are on a 95 cobra? give it a try? peace

john:p

OinkAodeOink said:
Willies car still has a VERY basic stock style suspension setup, that he has not, and probably won't change. Give the guy some credit.. how many of us here could pull off a 9 second, or better right off the bat, on a 1k horse Mustang? Yea...

i wasnt criticizing or anything, i was just curious to kno wat was going on. i agree, that car is amazing. BTW: good job on the magazine coverage, i read the article like 4 times lol

moneypit94 said:
When it comes to the actual turbo kit and where the turbo's are placed there isn't much difference. Given you have to have different headers but I think I can work around that. the plumbing from the headers to the turbo's and the plumbing from the turbo's to the catback system are my main concernces.

I think you have a good idea trying to make a twin sn95 kit with the turbo's in the front like the modular kits.

If you want to keep a full exhaust back to the tailpipes, Id say go with the twins. It would be easy to fit a 3 1/2" dp down each side of the block.

But after alot of my own research I would recommend going with a single. Power will be there with either twin or single. Spool up with be basically negligible between the two. Just pick the right exhaust housing for your application. The fact that you will have an auto will help with spool up off the line anyways.

Definitely go with a 3.27 gear like you mentioned. You might want to go as far as a 3.08 and prey that this setup can hook for the days you want to just go for a cruise.

You’re also going to have to make sure your cooling is going to be up to the task of the new 427 and a turbo.

And for the dp issue with the single. Is the car going to be full out drag with a little show? You could just have a DP that dumps after the turbo straight down. Or hope to find someone able to fit a 4" DP between the block and the body of the car. I dont think anyone has fit one on an sn95 chassis. If I even find one browsing through tm.com ill be sure to post it up here.

If I think of anything else Ill post again.

Dan.

Numbles said:
If you want to keep a full exhaust back to the tailpipes, Id say go with the twins. It would be easy to fit a 3 1/2" dp down each side of the block.

you're dreaming bud. its hard to fit a 3" on the passenger side where there is some room, without a tubular k, a downpipe of 3" on the driver side is probably near impossible without restrictive log headers. the guy that has the 4" dp in your turbomustangs reference has a fox body. more downpipe room in them, easily hammered out to make even more room.

well i got ahold of brian at b&g... My turbo kit is on order now... He said twins would be no problem... Cost me about 500 more for the sn95 but i think its well worth it. He suggested a pt-94 if i wanted a single turbo kit. But i ended up going with a twin pt-66 kit. I upgraded to the 44mm tial wastegates.

The kit comes with 1 3/4 primaries and i have to send in one of my jegs/kaase heads and a valvecovers so he can make a set of headers for them. The intercooler is 4 x 25 x 8 i think.

He figured up the power in one of his programs. Within 5% at 18psi i should be at 950 fwhp. and at 24psi 1200hp or 1000rwhp which is what i was looking for. Normal pump gas i should be 700 plus rwhp. Then up the octain or a methonal/water injection kit for the big numbers...

16 weeks... its a wait but it will give me time to get everything else ready...

Thats awesome man. I saw you're thread over on TM. I'm glad Brian could hook you up. Hes a great guy and gives great products and service. Can't wait to see the finishing product. Did you see the thread about Mike (Inda10's) selling his stainless steel TT set up.

Jeremy

DARK-5.0 said:
Thats awesome man. I saw you're thread over on TM. I'm glad Brian could hook you up. Hes a great guy and gives great products and service. Can't wait to see the finishing product. Did you see the thread about Mike (Inda10's) selling his stainless steel TT set up.

Jeremy
no but by chance i caught his auction on ebay... If its the same stainless steal setup and the same guy named mike. We had been emailing back forth about that kit working on my car. Then i talked to brian and he didn't recommend that kit because of the smaller headers. Plus now i see that i would have probably had a lot of fitment issues on that.

They were sponsering mike and he got that kit for 4000 dollars... I didn't ketch why mike was selling it but Brian didn't seem to be happy about that, Kinda see why, that kit isn't very old.

Not to advertise or anything but i bet B&G sells one of the cheapest (price) turbo kits out there. Even though it seems i will be paying quite abit, i doubt i could get another company to do what he is doing within a thousand dollars.

moneypit94 said:
Not to advertise or anything but i bet B&G sells one of the cheapest (price) turbo kits out there. Even though it seems i will be paying quite abit, i doubt i could get another company to do what he is doing within a thousand dollars.

I would have to agree. He is a great person to do business with. I bought my entire hotside off of him. Real nice pieces and always a pleasure to deal with.

moneypit94 said:
well i got ahold of brian at b&g... My turbo kit is on order now... He said twins would be no problem... Cost me about 500 more for the sn95 but i think its well worth it. He suggested a pt-94 if i wanted a single turbo kit. But i ended up going with a twin pt-66 kit. I upgraded to the 44mm tial wastegates.

The kit comes with 1 3/4 primaries and i have to send in one of my jegs/kaase heads and a valvecovers so he can make a set of headers for them. The intercooler is 4 x 25 x 8 i think.

He figured up the power in one of his programs. Within 5% at 18psi i should be at 950 fwhp. and at 24psi 1200hp or 1000rwhp which is what i was looking for. Normal pump gas i should be 700 plus rwhp. Then up the octain or a methonal/water injection kit for the big numbers...

16 weeks... its a wait but it will give me time to get everything else ready...
a while back when i was looking at turbos, brian said that, for a twin turbo in a sn95, it would work best if you ran part of the hot side in the fenderwells or something like that...is that still the way he recommends running twins in a sn95?

:shrug:

BlackVert said:
a while back when i was looking at turbos, brian said that, for a twin turbo in a sn95, it would work best if you ran part of the hot side in the fenderwells or something like that...is that still the way he recommends running twins in a sn95?

:shrug:
I don't believe any of the hotside will be in the finders. Im not a hundred percent sure on that though. I do have to run part of the cold side thru of coarse.