Argh! Scraped my rim on the curb!

..while parallel parking this morning (my rear right wheel). I keep driving my new Mustang like my Explorer where curbs just don't matter. :bang:

Anyone have any ideas on how to smooth out the scrape? Is there a fix for this or do I just have to live with this eye sore? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

steel wool, scrape the hell out of it and it will smooth it out to where you can barely see it unless you have your face pressed up against the rim looking for it. I am assuming you scraped the outer part of the rim, if thats the case, steel wool.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I didn't even have to look at it to see that I scraped it. I heard it (more like felt it) and got that funny feeling up and down my spine. :(

Blakers01GT, yes, it was the outer part of the rim. I guess what I need to do is mask off that part of the tire in front of the scrap and steel-wool it down (steel-wool on rubber sounds bad). Or were you suggesting I take off the tire to do this? Or does it really matter? Either way, thanks. I feel a lot better knowing that there's an easy solution to this.

MustangJunkie said:
..while parallel parking this morning (my rear right wheel). I keep driving my new Mustang like my Explorer where curbs just don't matter. :bang:

Anyone have any ideas on how to smooth out the scrape? Is there a fix for this or do I just have to live with this eye sore? :shrug:

sand it down with 180 grit sandpaper, go over it with 2000 grit wet sand paper, and then clearcoat it.

if your

like me just replace the rim if you have a few bucks to do it. I had my black bullits for about a month when I racked mine against the curb coming out of the bank. I used my dremel and they looked even worse! Like everybody says just don't look at it and nobody will notice it but when your washing the car and you see it it really does get you pissed once again!

99LEGT said:
like me just replace the rim if you have a few bucks to do it. I had my black bullits for about a month when I racked mine against the curb coming out of the bank. I used my dremel and they looked even worse! Like everybody says just don't look at it and nobody will notice it but when your washing the car and you see it it really does get you pissed once again!

Its not that hard to fix them and make it unnoticable. You would probably have to get within 6 inches to my wheels to be able to tell that I had done anything to them...if you could tell at all

I'd say if it's not a huge gouge, then just live with it. I have some minor scratching on my wheels from doing the same thing, and it doesn't really bug me (now anyway, swore up a storm when I did it originally).

After all, cars are meant to be driven and used, and with that comes the dings and scratches of the real world. I hate garage queen cars whose owners obsess over whether its going to rain when they take the thing out...it's just a car!

I had done metal polishing using sand paper for a research project a long time ago. You start by using rough sand paper and work your way down to really fine grit. By the end, it's a mirror-like shine (no kidding). So I have no qualms about using sand paper to fix my rim. I think it's a great idea actually. I just need to mask it off properly so I don't affect the tire or the rest of the rim and "go with the grain". Fine steel wool should work too. I'll clear coat it afterwards. But I won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks. I'll tell you how it all goes.

If it turns out worse than I expect I may just fork over the $175 for a new rim (my brother runs a service station so I get parts at his cost :D ).