Ariel Atom

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
Portland, Oregon
Tonight at DQ & SB24, the topic of the Ariel Atom came up a few times, so I thought I'd post a bit more info for those people who didn't know what it is. This would be a fun track car for sure.

• 220 bhp naturally aspirated
  • 300 bhp with supercharger option
  • 1005 pounds
  • 0-60 in 2.89 seconds
  • 0-100 in 6.86 seconds
  • 0-100-0 in 10.88 seconds (Ford GT does it in 13.17)
  • Skidpad 1.15g
  • Base price $35K
fornt.jpg

side.jpg

11_atom2.jpg

rear.jpg

More pics and info:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm

• Sponsors (?)

i was at the pdxtuning dyno day today and both of the oregon licensed atoms were there. awesome cars.
Ah crap, there were two there? I only saw the blue/gold one. What a fantastic toy. And you don't have to be especially rich to own one. Maybe I should get a beater for a DD and pick up an Atom for track days. Hmmm..... :D

Those thinks are awesome! My gf's prelude is a really fun car IMO, and this is the same basic engine/power band, but minus a TON...

Questions: It has 196Nm @ 6100rpm torque. What is that in American?

Tires are 185/65/14's...can you get sticky tires in that size? That's a Geo size...

It says on their site, quote: "The view over the nose is pure race car. Plip the plipper, flick the ignition on, press the starter." WTF is a plipper?

Edit: It's base price is 35000 Pounds, which is just inder $70,000...

Those thinks are awesome! My gf's prelude is a really fun car IMO, and this is the same basic engine/power band, but minus a TON...

Questions: It has 196Nm @ 6100rpm torque. What is that in American?

Tires are 185/65/14's...can you get sticky tires in that size? That's a Geo size...

It says on their site, quote: "The view over the nose is pure race car. Plip the plipper, flick the ignition on, press the starter." WTF is a plipper?

the US versions have a GM ecotec engine and are built in ashland iirc.

Luckily it never works that way ;). Plus, the cars being sold in the U.S. are made in the U.S., they're not imported. One of the recently purchased Atoms came to $45K with almost every option available except the blower.

As for tires -- you can definitely get sticky tires that fit the Atom. Heck, they're even an option :).

Top Gear tested an Atom quite some time ago. It was quite impressive, they had the blower option IIRC.

Rootus, did you go to Subiefest yesterday? What a blast! Minus the rain.

These little, light weght cars make me want to EJ20 powertrain swap into the Justy. Its been done before, the car ran 12.6 at 107.