ARP Studs Tourqe ?

modmach1

Jan 16, 2003
Norway
Hi again ! It has been a while since my last visit here. The project has not seen much work lately, but the summer is up and coming over here so now i want one of the Stangs finished. I have bought a new buildt 302. I have one problem.. The engine has all ARP bolts and studs and i dont have the papers on the head studs. I dont know how much torque that they shall have. (the studs are 7"/16") I sent a mail to ARP for 4-5 days ago and i havent got any answers. I want to try mounting the engine in the car tomorrow.. but then ill need the tourqe specs. Hope someone in here can help me with this little problem.
Best regards from NORWAY.
Stephan
71 429 CJ-R Mustang
71 Mustang Mach-1 302
79 Mustang Hatchback

• Sponsors (?)

I would imagine that the torque specs are the same as from the factory. While the ARP bolts are much stronger than factory, torque specs are a measurement of clamping forces, and I would have a hard time imagining that it would change just because the fastener type changed.

Yup, torques specs are not determined by ARP. I torqued mine according to what Edelbrock told me even though I used ARP studs. ARP did tell me HOW to get accurate torque readings when using their products but the actual numbers came from Edelbrock. What kind of heads do you have?

The ARP fasteners are stronger than stock, but the factory torque spec's would apply except...................if you use ARP's moly lube to install them. The lube will remove the friction loss at the threads and so would lower the torque by about 20% to get the same clamping force as a dry fastener with 100 ft/lbs of force applied.

Edbert said:
Yup, torques specs are not determined by ARP. I torqued mine according to what Edelbrock told me even though I used ARP studs. ARP did tell me HOW to get accurate torque readings when using their products but the actual numbers came from Edelbrock. What kind of heads do you have?

I use original steel heads. Thanks for the answers !!! :nice: