ART JOHNSON'S -

• Sponsors (?)

So here's the ad in the Patriot Ledger...

"1965 Mustang: fastback, V8, 4-speed; $550.00"

Why yes, I did call right away..."Hello...I'm calling about the Mustang...what's wrong with it?...Nothing?...How do I get there?...See Yaaaa..."

So I grab a set of plates and dad gives me a ride...my parents warned me..."Leave this one stock...your going to need a reliable car for college"...Yup...OK...I promise...

So...we get there and it's sittin in his driveway...it's perfect...289 2bbl., Borg Warner Alum. T-10, maroon, black interior, console, no rust, no dents, and the paint even shines...Oh yea...38,000 on it...

"Ahhhh...I don't have quite $550.00"

"Listen", he tells me, "I just need $480.00 more to pay for my new bike...can you afford that?"

I hand the guy $500.00...and he hands me a twenty back...should have framed that one...

The first item to find it's way in the trash was the shifter...Hurst Competiton Plus...of course...

Now it's time for the back end of the car...the hot lick was to find a 9" out of a 57-59 Ford wagon...my buddy steve tell's me that theres a 59 wagon, on it's drums, in the woods over by where the "Corvette Boys" strip the stolen vettes. So one night we fill Jim's van with tools, a jack and stands, lights and of course some beers. So we follow the fire roads to a clearing to where you don't want to get caught by the cops or worse...disturb the "boys" while their working. Sure enough there it is...what a junk...it does have a 9" tho...or I should say...it used to...

So I tell my parents that "THE STANG" was a great buy, I just had to replace the rear...and I got a free one from a buddy anyway. "That's wonderfull son..." Needless to say I had to replace the ring and pinion...4:11's...and Detroit Locker...Lakewood traction bars...shakels...adjustable shocks...Mopar Super-Stock leafs...solid bushings...oh yea...it really does "bolt in"...

So I drove the car like this for a while and messed with the rear suspension till I could feel the body rise on acceleration...which meant the tires were being planted...

I had been collecting 289 parts for some time now, 1/2 of dad's cellar was filled with everything to build several motors, I read everything I could get my hands on about 289's. And I had to have one of everything so I could compare for myself...The problem was how was I going to pull it off with my parents...and then my buddy Dave offer's up..."Lets do it over my house"... Yaaa...Let's...

So we took all this neat stuff to Dave's parents house...Oh... did I mention his dad was the assistant principal of Westwood High...it seemed like an odd place to clandestantly build a street racer...

So on a friday afternood me and a whole crew of guys from school start in...with dreams of Art Johnson's...by Sunday night...

Intake off...Heads off...radiator out...front cover off...cam out...jack it up...set up the stands...crossmember unbolted...pan down...pistons out...

Saturday AM...the gofer brings the pistons and rods to be swaped for the dome'd TRW's along with the new ported 351-W heads which need a touch up valve job and machining for the dual springs and screw in studs with quide plates to Allied Auto Parts in Norwood. A deal has been struck with the machinist there that he doesn't leave till there done... even tho sat. is 1/2 a day for him. I think he liked Shlitz...

The cylinders got honed and the shortblock with the big Shelby solid cam was back together Sat. night...Heads, Shelby intake, 715 Holley carb, Hooker Competition Plus headers and Hooker (straight-thru) header mufflers with no tailpipes finished the package...

Sunday night...about 8:30 it fired...now that's how a smallblock ford is supposed to sound...1200rpm idle...and...no hydraulics in that bad boy...

I backed it out of the garage...five other machines started...and the guys from Westwood High...headed for...Art Johnsons...

Great stories.
I am going to have to ask my uncles and my Gf's dad about some. I know my Gf's dad said he use to race on the Rt. 1 flats and my uncles use to just terrorize the neighborhoods.

So our little parade pulled out onto High Street in Westwood...by the Jr. High and left up Nahatan...past the High School and left onto Clapboardtree...by the Catholic school...crossed over 1A...and down Everett Street...I could see the bright lights now that lit up the entire lot...the place was jammed...

jammed means that as you pulled in off Everett, the most open area of the lot, cars were parked in two deep, cars were then parked at right angles so others could not get out, as the lot turned to the right in front of the open air resturant the cars parked in front, then alongside rte 1, and right up to the exit. The glass company next door on Everett Street was the next to fill. And when you couldn't get in there...they'd start on the resturant lot across the street and park the cars facing Art's...it was one of those nights...

It was difficult to progress thru the lot...people walking...cutting you off...guys leaning against their bumpers might give you the thumbs up if your ride sounded hot...all you got from the Chevy guys was a big smirk...and even tho I put everything I had in the stang...I felt pretty humble...let me tell ya...

I got lucky as I noticed a car leaving from right in front...I'll just get out and get right in line...I can smell those fried clams now!...The rest of the guys wern't so lucky...they had to get out onto rte 1...drive all the way down to the U-turn and come back to park next door.

So I'm standing in line and here comes the crew...they didn't have to say a single word...it was written all over their faces...WHAT ARE YOU DOING???...WE DIDN'T BUST OUR ASSES ALL WEEKEND TO WATCH YOU EAT FRIED CLAMS...and they weren't about to set up the first race either...

So for the first run I picked a decent running car...a 1968 340 Cuda...owned by a nice guy in his late twentys maybe early thirty's...it was quicker than most Roadrunners...and would be a good gauge for bigger prey if the stang could pull it off...I remember sitting at the lights...my right hand a little nervous on the Hurst...and that crowd lined up way down rte 1...each and every one of them about to judge you, your car, your manhood...

The time spent working the rear paid off as I spanked him off the lights...trying to feel the torque curve for the first time...the gear change was made at 7800...were is he???...rowing thru gears I passed the car wash...as that little 289 was gettin the job done...cross the line...shut down...make the U-turn...cruise back up rte 1...pull in the left turn lane and wait for the light to pull back in...

As I pulled back into Art's I remember trying to keep from smilling too much...just because you won a race didn't mean jack...some of the fastest street machines in the Northeast are here to make you look foolish...and they're just waiting for the chance...

I no sooner got out of the car and the next guy is in my face..."you feel like running the Black SS"???...this guy's 1969 SS396 Chevelle was one of the nicest cars in the lot...SS396's were not the fastest chevy you could buy...but they were definitely Chevy's most popular Muscle Car icon. And...with up to 375hp...which was the 65 425hp Corvette motor...they were a force to be recknoned with..."OK...LET'S GO"

I lined up the stang again at the lights... and I could see now even more people were paying attention...a little 289 mustang...against Big Block SS-396 Chevrolet Power. Really??? I got to see this one!!!

That little 289 sang thru the 7800 rpm shift points and sent that 396 packin...

When I pulled back in to Art's...My legs and arms were shaking...crowds came up to the windows and gave encouragement and hints as to who to take on next.

So I park the stang in front of the building...the only thing on my mind is... may I please get something to drink now...no such luck...how's that song go..."You don't step on Superman's cape..."

Well...I just climbed out...shut the door...and when I looked up...here they come...the guys from the Chevy dealership right up rte.1...they're part of the group I mentioned that your better off staying away from...and they did not look happy...they're pushing people out of their way making a bee line right for yours truly...Oh yea...they had an attitude...

What I didn't realize at the time...and most ford guys don't realize today...is that in the Chevrolet state of mind...a FORD cannot beat a CHEVROLET...it's impossible...they have to make up some sort of righteous explaination in order to continue their very existance should the unthinkable occur...the owner of a prominent NH engine shop, in 1990, himself told me...that the ability of one to build a Ford engine that can outpower a similar Chevrolet engine is considered..."VOODOO"...you got to love it...

Oh yea...where was I...so mr. chevrolet attitude and his three buddies stand at the front of the stang..."You want to run me next???"...WHATCHA DRIVIN?..."I got the maroon 64 Chevelle SS over there"...I recognized the car...out of what I call "the regulars"...there were two chevelles with "BUILT" smallblocks...they were the screamers...one was a white 69...and obviously this dude owned the other..."I'LL MEET YOU THERE..." As the stang makes it's way thru the crowd, some guys approach my window..."it's got fuelie heads"..."watch out for that guy"...Oh swell...

So we pull up to the lights...and both cars are making the kind of sounds that only high winding smallblocks can make...I didn't see the crowd this time...one eye on the tach...the other on the light...the yellow for Everett...timed perfect for my green...the guy's no slouch tho...he left the same time...but the stang hooked great...he spun slightly and he's on my rear quarter...now... with an attitude of my own...I let the tach bang off 8000...the snap to second put the stang out in front a couple of feet more...he's inches off my bumper now...one eye on the tach...the other in the rear view trying to judge the results of the two screaming smallblocks and the lightning gear changes...my tach never went below 6700...the stang couldn't pull him any further...and that's the way we crossed the line...by far the stang's closest race...

So in my mind it's over...wrong again...I park the stang in front...and he's parked in the middle of a roaring crowd...I get out and here he comes again with his buddies..."GET IT BACK OUT THERE"...ordinarily I'd have no problem with this...but one of my crew who's been keepin tabs...comes running up to my ear..."There gonna run you off the road...and wreck the car...they've done it before"...

So now the guy and his buddies are all but in my face...I know the way to handle this: make the first move...but I look over his shoulder and here comes the "BEAR"...I'll let you figure out why he's called that...he didn't say one word until he spun mr. chevrolet attitude around, picked him up by his jacket, and looked him in the eye..."YOU AND YOUR PALS...TAKE A HIKE"...

FORD VS CHEVROLET.........it's what racin's all about...

Sweet stories! I've heard a lot about the illigal street racing from Route 1 and the legend of Art Johnson's over the years. I wish that I were born earlier than 1968 so that I could have witnessed it firsthand. Both of my uncles used to hang out there. One of them had numerous late '50's - mid '60's Corvettes and the other one had a '67 Chevelle. They've told me many stories. Keep 'em comin'!

yeah, nowadays, you can get your license taken away for "suspicion of drag racin"...... even if the cop didnt see it....just heard it.

for the record, my dad has a 66 fairlane GTA with a 428 SCJ...not the same color as your buddys...but nice.

sometimes i wish i was 50 and lived through those days :p

******************EPILOGUE**********************

So just to make some long stories short...

The stang was now a respected player at Art's...

One night dave, the joker that he was, goes up to the owner of the "built" 69 chevelle while were all lining up to watch a run and asks him, "Why don't you run the stang", knowing full well that this might decide who had the fastest smallblock car at Art's.(the regulars, at that time)...not to mention the Ford VS CHEVY thing...The guy turns and looks at me, then turns back to dave..."We don't run.......because neither one of us.....wants to know"

So one item still weighed heavy...THE RED SS454 CHEVELLE

There were rumurs of a 427 Maverick...oh wow !... yaaa...that'll get him...

Sure enough it shows up...it was silver, of course it was a brand new car...and when they lifted the hood, the 427 looked like it was born there...all stock...WHAT???...it's all STOCK???...and it sounded it too...

GUESS WHAT...the 454 smoked it too...I WAS PISSED...

During this time I had bought a 428CJ...and was building it in dad's garage...General Kinetics cam & valvetrain, 427 sidewinder intake...etc...etc...

I stuffed it in the Galaxie XL, it was fast...smoked a 440 GTX, at Arts...my buddy jim asked to drive it, and while cruisin rte 1, it ran an black 454 Chevelle and walked it... on a rolling start...after giving it over a length head start...hmmm...

Then two things happened...the clutch in the 428CJ Galaxie gave up while running a built 390 Mustang...had two lengths on him...embarrasing...

And that Maverick got beat...

Well.....you know a 428 will not go in a 65 Mustang...right...okay...

My buddy steve had a brother that was a welder fabricator...

So one afternoon we pulled out the 289...and the 428 out of the galaxie...and drop't it right on top of those shock towers...no way man...no way...

All I'll say is that we watched the sun go down...and we watched it come back up the next day...and that morning there was a 65 Mustang 428 CJ on the streets...w/slicks...and it wasn't stock either...

It was the summer of 71...and Art's was just starting to quiet down...the state cops would pull in at 1:30am and throw everyone out...the latest Muscle Cars had reduced compression and horsepower levels...and it showed...

So the stang hung out at Arts...and waited...and waited...

And I'd love to tell ya...the stang smoked that chevelle...but it never happened...he never showed while the 428CJ 65-FASTBACKSTANG was there...

But then again...if I did tell ya...it wouldn't be a true story either...

and we all know that true story's..are the best...

So just in case anyone is interested...WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STANG ?

It got put in storage while I went to college, Wentworth Institute for Mechanical Design Engineering...then Franklin Institute for Automotive Engineering...Yup I really like whoopin them Chevy's...

After spending a few years on Lake Winnipesaukee, I moved back to Westwood and pulled the 428 out and sold it...

My buddy Jim from high school bought the stang and just put it away...

Over the years he had the inner fender panels professionally replaced with new shock towers and suspension...

A warmed over 302 now sits in the engine bay of a nicely kept 65 fastback...and once in while it goes for a cruise down Rte. 1...

I've only seen him a couple times over the years...and he always tell's me that he bought the car so that he could sell it back to me...

I tell him no...the fox is a much better platform...

And besides...the world has changed...

All most Ford guys do now is talk s##t...and race each other...

How boring...

You're way off point...

I'd never even think to recommend such a thing...

What I'm saying is...

If only a small portion of the current efforts that most ford guys put into their cars were to be put into racing against chevrolets, be it in NHRA competition or circle track, they would be able to share similar concepts of REAL COMPETITION...

The Chevy guys are rolling on the ground at your efforts...

those were the best old school street racing stories I ever heard. :nice:

Your right when you say that nowadays it seems like 'stangs are to busy racing each other instaed of racing other makes. It divides the Ford guys up.
My father always told me " you should'nt be upset if you lose to another Ford because he might be able to beat a chevy that you cant beat with your Ford.And that will make the Ford guys look better."
The most fun I had at the track was when GM high Tech mag allowd Fords to compete at their events. They let all American EFI cars to compete till '97. I was running low 11's then. There would be over 30 LT1 F bodies and 'vettes amongs other EFI cars and and not a single one could give me and some other mustangs a close race.The fast GM's never showd. :shrug: Mustangs won the heads up class at EVERY event. I guess they got tired of getting spanked all the time when the article on the upcoming '98 season in one of their issues the article was titled in big bold letters "FORDS NEED NOT APPLY" They switched to GM only after a few months earlier the editor was raving about how good it was to have all american makes at their shootouts :shrug:
Now they have mustang verse F body events at E-town but its only bracket :bang:

cevtv said:
Anyone remember the '80's in Brockton, at Westgate Mall and Burger King?? Same thing - god, I miss it!
Wow,I didnt think I'd ever stumble upon something on the net about the old days in Brockton.I dont even know if this thread is still active?
If it is,post some memories.

Anyone remember the '80's in Brockton, at Westgate Mall and Burger King?? Same thing - god, I miss it!

80's...LOL

I worked at the wharehouse up there for Quaker fabric about 4 years ago. I was on 3rd shift. We used to take our breaks across the street in the Westgate mall parking lot and watch all the races on friday and saturday nights. So many nice cars showed up, from imports to sick american muscle. The police never really busted any b@lls unless it got out of hand.

I hear alot of racing stories from the early years..:rlaugh: