Build Thread As Requested: Project Horse Manure

Glad to see some more progress on things. It must be nice (and simultaneously not nice) to have more than one project to occupy your time with the boy.

Edit: What ended up happening with the '70s 351 you got your hands on last May? You say you're saving up for a long block now which I assume means you're no longer planning to use the 351?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Glad to see some more progress on things. It must be nice (and simultaneously not nice) to have more than one project to occupy your time with the boy.

Edit: What ended up happening with the '70s 351 you got your hands on last May? You say you're saving up for a long block now which I assume means you're no longer planning to use the 351?

Well, I still have the 351W tucked away. When I bought that to go in the truck, the plan was to make it a nasty stroker to go in a sporty truck that dad would drive.. when the fox project for the boy kept dragging out, the boy asked to drive the truck, because his sister is about to take over the car he's been driving. I'm not going to turn him loose with a 400+hp stroker, and I have to many irons in the fire to build it right now, anyway. I found a remanufactured long block at Oreilly for $1400 with a 3 year warranty and figured it was fast, and that's about what I could rebuild the 302 for... so there ya go. The good news is, he's decided finally to start humping it on the fox and finish putting it together, which we have practically everything to do. I'm going to shoot it with summit paint- that's $250 bucks, so we can swing that as opposed to 1400 right now.. And when I get caught up i'll get to build the 351 for me!:banana:

To be honest, I was going to try to find a way to swing the long block for the truck, but the boy fired the car up to move it in the shop, and after listening to it lope he got the bug to finish it. Meh. I think he gets it from his mom..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, more progress on the roof. I think a few more hours and it will be done. Then two little spots, another coat of primer, sanding and it's time for color. I ordered a color chip chart from summit this morning. I think I've got him talked out of black. As sokn as i have a solid decision I'll order paint.

image.jpeg

kitteh3.png

He got these last Christmas to replace the front skinnies, and his grandpa is getting tires for him for his birthday.

image.jpeg

He loves those draglites. (Quick 8)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 169
Well, I still have the 351W tucked away. When I bought that to go in the truck, the plan was to make it a nasty stroker to go in a sporty truck that dad would drive.. when the fox project for the boy kept dragging out, the boy asked to drive the truck, because his sister is about to take over the car he's been driving. I'm not going to turn him loose with a 400+hp stroker, and I have to many irons in the fire to build it right now, anyway. I found a remanufactured long block at Oreilly for $1400 with a 3 year warranty and figured it was fast, and that's about what I could rebuild the 302 for... so there ya go. The good news is, he's decided finally to start humping it on the fox and finish putting it together, which we have practically everything to do. I'm going to shoot it with summit paint- that's $250 bucks, so we can swing that as opposed to 1400 right now.. And when I get caught up i'll get to build the 351 for me!:banana:
Sound logic regarding your boy and 400+ horsepower. I can tell you from personal experience that a teenager can get into a lot of trouble with as little as 225 horsepower.

I know you will, but be sure to check that short block before you install it. I worked at O'Reilly's for about five years and always heard stories about the rebuilt blocks being a little iffy.

To be honest, I was going to try to find a way to swing the long block for the truck, but the boy fired the car up to move it in the shop, and after listening to it lope he got the bug to finish it. Meh. I think he gets it from his mom..:rolleyes:
I lost count of all the times I thought about selling my '95 but changed my mind after going for a drive. It sat for long stretches over the years here, but that engine noise is always enough to remind how much it means to me. And mine still has the stock cam.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, that's what he picked. I'll give it a shot. Is that bad?
If you need any help with painting, I'll give you what advice I can. I've been a painter for a living for 38 years. Metallica aren't difficult, just use even strokes with the gun. Overlap 50 to 60% when you're shooting it (the color, that is). Roughly the same with your sealer and clear coat too. If you have an old hood or some other panel, it would be good for him to test out his spraying on it beforehand. Use the recommended air pressure at the cap of the gun. The local oreilly's or any paint jobber can help you with the set up. It's best to use a 1.3 or a 1.4 tipped paint gun for the refinishing. You will shoot the base slightly quicker than the sealer and the clear coat slower than either of the other two. Do a test panel though and let me know how it looks and I will tell you what I can then. I have trained a lot of helpers to become painters over the years. I hope this will be of help to you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you need any help with painting, I'll give you what advice I can. I've been a painter for a living for 38 years. Metallica aren't difficult, just use even strokes with the gun. Overlap 50 to 60% when you're shooting it (the color, that is). Roughly the same with your sealer and clear coat too. If you have an old hood or some other panel, it would be good for him to test out his spraying on it beforehand. Use the recommended air pressure at the cap of the gun. The local oreilly's or any paint jobber can help you with the set up. It's best to use a 1.3 or a 1.4 tipped paint gun for the refinishing. You will shoot the base slightly quicker than the sealer and the clear coat slower than either of the other two. Do a test panel though and let me know how it looks and I will tell you what I can then. I have trained a lot of helpers to become painters over the years. I hope this will be of help to you.

I've painted a few cars, one metallic. I got the hang of it by the time i was done on that one. Main problem was striping from not pulling back far enough. I appreciate the input, and I'll take any advice you have to give. :)

Well, i think this pic says a lot.
image.jpeg

This roof has been a real monster, but I'm finally satisfied with it. We have a few small filler spots left to flatten out, then we are going to hit it with a little more primer and block it down for paint. I get to throw up a temporary spray booth in the shop, but first we have about two tons of sanding dust to clean out. Maybe by the end of the weekend we'll have a change of scenery!

Reactions: 4 users
Well, i hit her with more primer today...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I thought for sure i was ready to go to paint. As soon as that wet primer hit it i found about ten more little pisser dings in it that i just couldn't see before. Sucks getting old. Anyhoo, as soon as the primer dries we're gonna try to slick those off and THEN.... good grief. Maybe we can shoot some paint!

...I'm still astounded i was able to get that roof flat.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, i hit her with more primer today...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I thought for sure i was ready to go to paint. As soon as that wet primer hit it i found about ten more little ****er dings in it that i just couldn't see before. Sucks getting old. Anyhoo, as soon as the primer dries we're gonna try to slick those off and THEN.... good grief. Maybe we can shoot some paint!

...I'm still astounded i was able to get that roof flat.
I really dig that masking paper! mine is just plain white, how boring. I've got to have a talk with my boss......

Ok... I'm at a crossroads. This car needs 1) paint 2) a windshield installed. I'm trying to decide what order is best... If i have it installed before, I don't have to worry about scratching paint. If i have it done after, i dont have to be as careful with masking, and can get the glass guy to install the trim for me. Thoughts?

Ok... I'm at a crossroads. This car needs 1) paint 2) a windshield installed. I'm trying to decide what order is best... If i have it installed before, I don't have to worry about scratching paint. If i have it done after, i dont have to be as careful with masking, and can get the glass guy to install the trim for me. Thoughts?
We always install the glass after paint at the shop, paint almost always gets scratched when the glass is being removed. I can't remember the last time the glass guys scratched a job putting it in.
I know that will be almost the very last thing I do on my build.
Almost paint time for yours, man, I'm excited for you. I almost was going to paint mine blue too. Can't wait to see it shot. In my head, after I finally finish painting mine, it's finally going to be a car again and not just a massive pile of parts. Assembly begins at that stage.
Good luck brother, if I can be of any help, let me know.

We always install the glass after paint at the shop, paint almost always gets scratched when the glass is being removed. I can't remember the last time the glass guys scratched a job putting it in.
I know that will be almost the very last thing I do on my build.
Almost paint time for yours, man, I'm excited for you. I almost was going to paint mine blue too. Can't wait to see it shot. In my head, after I finally finish painting mine, it's finally going to be a car again and not just a massive pile of parts. Assembly begins at that stage.
Good luck brother, if I can be of any help, let me know.

Well, the old windshield is still in there. Would you recommend i try to cut it out then, before paint?