Assembling My P Heads

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I'm getting ready to assemble my gt40p heads. I'm removing some of the goodies from the gt40 heads and installing them on the P heads. Since this will be my first time assembling a set of heads, I have a few questions.

I am missing one of the Stud mounts with the push rod guide and all of the nuts. I plan to use nylock nuts, is there a preferred type that's normally used here? I have some, but I'm not sure if I should use them in the head. Also, where can I get just one of the stud mount and push rod guide? The stud mount is 3/8-24 thread.

The 1.6 roller rockers I have have some wear on the inside edge. I've seen this before on other roller rockers as well. Should i clearance these myself or install and not worry about it because it is common?

I believe the springs to be Alex parts springs, but it seems there's no way to fully identify them. I can see there are shims at the base of the spring where it meets the head. Are these reusable or do I need to buy a set so I can shim them to spec? I've never had to shim springs before. ( I've always had rotary cars before this, don't hate me I love all cars!)

Pics for reference:

Attachments

• 20160202_185740-1-1.jpg
    20160202_185740-1-1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 131
  • 20160202_185444-1-1.jpg
    20160202_185444-1-1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Sponsors (?)

I can't help with everything, but I can give my opinion on a couple of your issues. I believe you can clearance the bottom of the rockers a little to help with the wear there. I don't think you will have any problems doing so as long as you're careful and clean them thoroughly afterwards. And the shims should be reusable if you need them. I'd measure them and compare to what measurement they are supposed to be, but I wouldn't think they would shrink or anything under valve spring load.

Just curious, why the switch? Already having gt40 heads, unless the P's are heavily worked bi don't see much benefit.

The P heads have fresh valve seats with the valves cut to match. Also cleaned and checked. I also believe the spark plug placement and combustion chamber design to be better than the Cobra heads.

Also, the Cobra heads usually sell for more. Or in my case, they are a better bartering tool since I trade much more than buy/sell.

I'm getting ready to assemble my gt40p heads. I'm removing some of the goodies from the gt40 heads and installing them on the P heads. Since this will be my first time assembling a set of heads, I have a few questions.

I am missing one of the Stud mounts with the push rod guide and all of the nuts. I plan to use nylock nuts, is there a preferred type that's normally used here? I have some, but I'm not sure if I should use them in the head. Also, where can I get just one of the stud mount and push rod guide? The stud mount is 3/8-24 thread.

The 1.6 roller rockers I have have some wear on the inside edge. I've seen this before on other roller rockers as well. Should i clearance these myself or install and not worry about it because it is common?

I believe the springs to be Alex parts springs, but it seems there's no way to fully identify them. I can see there are shims at the base of the spring where it meets the head. Are these reusable or do I need to buy a set so I can shim them to spec? I've never had to shim springs before. ( I've always had rotary cars before this, don't hate me I love all cars!)

Pics for reference:
I don't recommend nylock nuts for applications where the temperature exceeds 250 degrees. Metal self- locking nuts are the preferred choice for internal engine applications

See http://www.usfastener.com/insertlocknut.html for specs on nylock nuts.

See http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-200-8104/overview/ for ARP all metal self-locking nuts.
OR better choice and less expensive
http://www.skygeek.com/military-specification-ms21045-6-self-lock-nut-steel-3-8-24.html

So I havn't had any luck on finding the one missing stud and guide.

Anyone know where I can find just the one set?

Bump.

Still no luck on finding just one stud and rod guide.... But I'm a Fox newb! Surely the Mustang Pro's here would know where to get some.

Called Crane (386-310-4875)

They were EXTREMELY helpful. Shipped me the stud, guide plate, and Nylon insert for $3 plus shipping! Shipped same day too.

Reactions: 1 users
Called Crane (386-310-4875)

They were EXTREMELY helpful. Shipped me the stud, guide plate, and Nylon insert for $3 plus shipping! Shipped same day too.
It sounds like maybe we should put Crane on our "Good Guys" list and think of purchasing from them more often.

Yes sir. Definitely a top contender for the good guy list.

I told him the part number of the kit I have. He then searched through and found the single parts I needed. I'm guessing there isn't a price listed for each part individually. I feel like he pretty much gave them to me. I mean, 3 parts for 3 bucks. The stud alone is definitely worth more than 3 bucks.