At a crossroad, need advice

Joe 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Macomb, MI (metro detroit)
Here's the deal, I blew the HG on my Cobra a month or so back and am getting down to the point of fixing it.

I was making ~450hp, and it ran 11.8 @ 120mph before breaking, so it ran pretty good I thought for only 11psi on a S-Trim.

Its a 347 with a B50 block, girdle, and forged internals. The pistons look fine, but the heads need ~ $600 worth of work. They are ported Eddy RPM's.

I can go one of two ways. Either I get the heads fixed, throw on new gaskets, bearings, and rings, and then hope it stays together for another 50k miles.

Or I sell the longblock, and build up a Dart based engine with all the good stuff, and maybe even sell the S-Trim for a T-Trim.

My only concern is that on the street (it is mostly street car, with some drag here & there), at what point is there where you have too much power?

I mean I could probably eek out another 4-5psi once I get it rebuilt, and it would prob run low 11's at close to 125mph. And it would probably not be too dangerous on the block.

I dunno, it'd be nice to have it back on the road this year, but it'd be a wicked fast car with a Dart and some real CFM from the blower.

• Sponsors (?)