At what degree do you consider a 5.0 running hot?

• Sponsors (?)

i dont like to see it crest over 210 (it is 110* here in summer). but i think it can handle 230 w/o problems, maybe a little more. i never like to "test" the limits of stuff. :)

HISSIN50 said:
i dont like to see it crest over 210

Thats my personal safe limit as well.

I dont like to see the temp more than 10 degrees higher than the rating of my thermostat. Any higher than that and it indicating to me that the radiator isnt doing its job, which was the case until I put my Summit 31x19" aluminum rad in today.

Too hot for what? They will run at 240 degrees for a long time but that is way too hot for continued service. I like to try and keep everything at around 200 degrees but with the stock gauges how do you know??

87gtconv said:
Too hot for what? They will run at 240 degrees for a long time but that is way too hot for continued service. I like to try and keep everything at around 200 degrees but with the stock gauges how do you know??

At what degree do you consider a 5.0 running hot?

How hot before it hurts the motor

190 is the temp to maintain for power; if it gets higher than that the engine starts to run like crap because the pistons are too tight in the bore. What exactly is meant by not hurting anything? You could run a stock iron headed motor continuously at 260 plus and never BREAK anything, but it would wear out a little faster. Try to keep it at 190-200 but if you can't then don't fret it. Too COLD is also to be avoided because then your pistons rock in the bore...