Attention: People Who Want To Do The PI Intake Swap

spitfirees20

Nov 17, 2006
Here is some advice: if you are like myself (not a mechanic by any means), you can not (read: can not, unable, not able) do the swap yourself. If you have done the swap, congratulations, but most non-mechanic people still won't be able to. I'm not here to give anybody fake advice or anything, just wanted to make it clear for anything thinking about doing it, or searching around for advice, or anything. If you are not a mechanic, you do not have the tools, or the knowledge, and you will not be able to do it. Take it to a professional.

• Sponsors (?)

Here is some advice: if you are like myself (not a mechanic by any means), you can not (read: can not, unable, not able) do the swap yourself. If you have done the swap, congratulations, but most non-mechanic people still won't be able to. I'm not here to give anybody fake advice or anything, just wanted to make it clear for anything thinking about doing it, or searching around for advice, or anything. If you are not a mechanic, you do not have the tools, or the knowledge, and you will not be able to do it. Take it to a professional.
Did you do it with anybody or did you do the entire swap by yourself, IE 1 person the whole time?

Doing it 1 person would suck donkey balls. Doing it w/ 2 people is fine. I had never done anything on a car in my life that required more than cutting off an exhaust pipe, removing bolts and putting on catback. By the end of the PI swap ordeal I was able to remove everything down to the heads (not the valve covers) and reassemble it within an hour.

Did you do it with anybody or did you do the entire swap by yourself, IE 1 person the whole time?

Doing it 1 person would suck donkey balls. Doing it w/ 2 people is fine. I had never done anything on a car in my life that required more than cutting off an exhaust pipe, removing bolts and putting on catback. By the end of the PI swap ordeal I was able to remove everything down to the heads (not the valve covers) and reassemble it within an hour.

So when are you moving to illinois? So you can do mine??? :shrug: I need a pi swap :nice:

It's some stupid small error I made that I can't find, which would be easy if I was a mechanic or possibly had someone with me who knew what they were doing, but I don't. I'm just putting it out there, have this done by a professional, that's my advice to anyone looking to do it. I'm not some e-mechanic that looks at something on a forum, goes "oh, that looks easy!", and recommends doing it themselves to everyone and their siblings. I'm a real person, telling you I tried to do it, and it's harder than it seems.

It's some stupid small error I made that I can't find, which would be easy if I was a mechanic or possibly had someone with me who knew what they were doing, but I don't. I'm just putting it out there, have this done by a professional, that's my advice to anyone looking to do it. I'm not some e-mechanic that looks at something on a forum, goes "oh, that looks easy!", and recommends doing it themselves to everyone and their siblings. I'm a real person, telling you I tried to do it, and it's harder than it seems.

most of the people are looking @ you like your crazy on this forum. COme on.. the intake manifold is a easy swap. Wait, till you hear the story about the guy changing his on the side of the road when it was raining :eek:

LOL, but buddy im with you on this. The majority of the people on these mustang sites are pretty good @ doing this type of stuff. You than have the minority who can't do this **** if there life depended on it. Me, im in the minority.
Whats the matter with the car right now? Coolant leak?? Someone should be able to figure it out. I mean if you got off the nonpi than you might be able to get it back running if yo u take a rest and come back @ it in 2 hours.

The whole thing is installed, everything hooked up, no coolant leaks, no fuel leaks, I've driven the car, etc. I have a misfire code on cylinder 3 that I can't figure out, looking at a couple of things right now. This isn't a thread about my problems, that's in tech, this is just a thread saying if you're not a mechanic, think twice.

I did that today, nothing. In fact, when I did the intake swap I pulled all of the plugs (autolite platinums), cleaned them up, and re-gapped them. Again, this isn't a thread on fixing my problem, that's in tech, and I don't want this to be moved to tech. I'm just saying don't try it if you're not a mechanic.

Alright then the topic is "can people who are not mechanics do PI intake swap?"...

I would say that your one anecdotal experience proves nothing. Just because you are not a mechanic and you had problems does not mean that other people will.

If you established a trend with a greater statistical sample such as "out of 1000 people who were not professional mechanics the vast majority were not able to perform PI intake swap" then that would mean something.

The fact that you could not do it means nothing :shrug:

You do not even really go into detail as to what your problem was in the original post you just say "do not do it". :shrug:

Anyways, you have not even finished the job yet. I bet once you get it done you will be proud of what you have accomplished and you will have learned a great deal about your car. Is that not worth the pain you are enduring right now? I say it almost always is...

Alright then the topic is "can people who are not mechanics do PI intake swap?"...

I would say that your one anecdotal experience proves nothing. Just because you are not a mechanic and you had problems does not mean that other people will.

If you established a trend with a greater statistical sample such as "out of 1000 people who were not professional mechanics the vast majority were not able to perform PI intake swap" then that would mean something.

The fact that you could not do it means nothing :shrug:

You do not even really go into detail as to what your problem was in the original post you just say "do not do it". :shrug:

Anyways, you have not even finished the job yet. I bet once you get it done you will be proud of what you have accomplished and you will have learned a great deal about your car. Is that not worth the pain you are enduring right now? I say it almost always is...

I am lucky in the fact that my uncle owns a garage which is right next to my garage, so when I need specific tools (which is often), I can walk right next door. What if someone does this to their DD, then can't get the car in a drivable state to get their codes scanned at autozone? Does everybody have an obd2 scanner? Does everyone have all of the sockets and wrenches necessary, all of the fuel line disconnects (even though I did not need to remove them), the tools to clean off the head in preparation for the gasket, etc? Yes, you can buy them, but then what if you run into problems? Do you have a friend that is a mechanic? There are many things to think about beforehand.

If you are thinking about doing the install and reading this, fine, believe Kilgore, go ahead. But when you screw something up, don't have the tool, and can't find out where you went wrong, just know in the back if your head someone told you not to and now look where you are.

Just went on the sn95 forum to check it out, as I do daily. Oh, what thread is at the top of the pile:

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=12982.0

No seriously, go ahead, swap it yourself. This whole thread is pointless right?. I have nothing useful to say, or share my opinion on things, it's not like I've ever done it before or anything right? ...
Well in that thread he talks about PI swap.

He does not say if he is talking about heads, cams, intake or all of the above...

I was not trying to say that the thread was pointless or that you have nothing useful to say. That is absolutely not the case. Sorry if I came across that way.

You have provided a single data point. Many more are needed before any definite conclusions can be drawn.

I did the swap by myself with just basic tools. That is all that is needed. Am I mechanically inclined? Maybe a little...maybe more than most but getting frustrated and throwing in the towel is not the answer...

Where do you live? And can you pick me up at the nearest airport?

I did mine in the garage .... It was pretty simple really.

All you have to do is pay attention to what you are doing, take pictures (if need be), keep stuff in ziploc bags semi-organized, and take your time. If you can turn a wrench and own a few tools then you can easily do a PI swap.

The key is to pay attention and take your time.