auto shifter/brake lights problem

Robuilt

Founding Member
Sep 7, 2001
McAllen, TX
just from one moment to the next it happened......

I have a 97 Gt, auto tranny. i was driving around town just fine. went back to the apartment, put the car in park, get out and go inside.

an hour later i get back in the mustang, start the car, press the brake, try and shift to reverse but teh shifter wont budge. HHMMMMM. I also notice (through the reflection of a car behind me) that my brake lights do not come on when i press teh brake.

I turn the car off, turn the ignition on half way (before instrument lights come on) and i was able to shift the car into nuetral and then at that point i can start the car and drive around.

to add to it, my signal/hazard lights do not work.

this happened about two weeks ago and my son has been in and out of the hospital so i have not had time to get to searching under the dash or really figuring out whats going on. he will be getting out soon from teh hospital so i need to get teh car going.

Has anyone had this problem or know what it may be?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

• Sponsors (?)

check fuse #9 in the under dash fuse panel.. not the one under the hood the one under the dash.. it's a 15 amp fuse..

That is probally blown if you don't have stop lights or turn signals. You might have some damaged wires under the dash, it's really common to damage the wires to the brake pedal switch since they are somewhat exposed. Damaged wires could cause this fuse to blow out.

If the fuse is intact then there is a open inside the I/P fuse panel.

svttech76 said:
check fuse #9 in the under dash fuse panel.. not the one under the hood the one under the dash.. it's a 15 amp fuse..

That is probally blown if you don't have stop lights or turn signals. You might have some damaged wires under the dash, it's really common to damage the wires to the brake pedal switch since they are somewhat exposed. Damaged wires could cause this fuse to blow out.

If the fuse is intact then there is a open inside the I/P fuse panel.

it was the #9 fuse AND the BOO (backlight on/off) switch. $4.99 at autozone cured it.

the hardest part was getting my fat arse under the dash to replace it, lol.

Thanks fellas for all the help!