Auto to Manual, good idea??

85 Coupe 5.0

Founding Member
Dec 18, 2001
Kansas
I currently have a '96 GT with the mods listed in my sig. my best time so far is 14.79@93 with the current setup. I have recently acquired a T45 extremely cheap, and gathering all the components for the swap won't be an issue. So, all that aside, what kind of gains can I expect from the swap? I know my car will get lighter, right now it weighs in at 3640 LBS with me in the driver seat. I am thinking of around a 1/2 sec improvement in the 1/4 times, has anyone been down this road and have some numbers? what do ya think?

• Sponsors (?)

Eh, ive ponderd ditching my auto myself but look at most of your big boys at the track. Auto. you can tune in shift points, shift firmness, and use a torque converter. where as a manual has you hoping that you can shift at the right time or fast enough and you still run the risk of missing a gear. plus autos dont have that drive train shock like a manual does through the shifts.

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
I currently have a '96 GT with the mods listed in my sig. my best time so far is 14.79@93 with the current setup. I have recently acquired a T45 extremely cheap, and gathering all the components for the swap won't be an issue. So, all that aside, what kind of gains can I expect from the swap? I know my car will get lighter, right now it weighs in at 3640 LBS with me in the driver seat. I am thinking of around a 1/2 sec improvement in the 1/4 times, has anyone been down this road and have some numbers? what do ya think?
Maybe .2-.3 at the most, but the fun factor might be a bit higher for you. The only reason you will be faster than an auto is your launch rpms, but a higher stall tq in the auto usually equals or beats equally modded manuals. Auto's lose a bit more power through the trans, but makes up for it through faster shifts(jmod) and being consistent. I say get the manual or put a manual valve body, tq, and jmod in your auto...either way each trans has plus' and negatives to them.

big T said:
Maybe .2-.3 at the most, but the fun factor might be a bit higher for you. The only reason you will be faster than an auto is your launch rpms, but a higher stall tq in the auto usually equals or beats equally modded manuals. Auto's lose a bit more power through the trans, but makes up for it through faster shifts(jmod) and being consistent. I say get the manual or put a manual valve body, tq, and jmod in your auto...either way each trans has plus' and negatives to them.

that's about what I was thinking too. I'll probably end up pullin the 'ole 4r70 out, but keep it laying around just in case. i was hoping for around a .5 or better gain from the tranny, but i guess we'll see.

I really do love my auto, but the fact of the matter is that it just consumes too much power for me. I would really love to have that roughly 1/2 sec more with the stick. not to mention that with the stick I have 4 gears that i can race in versus 3 with the 4r70w, as 4th in the auto is OD. That combined with the weight i'll lose and the gain in my '60 with slicks over the auto will all add up to some hopefully decent 1/4 gains. not to mention the fun factor. I know the auto is better at the track, but only with a stall and appropriate j-mod, but jesus, a converter is like $500 or better, i got a working t-45 for $150.00. by the time i get that flywheel and all the other odds and ends i'll probably have $600.00 wrapped into the stick.

But in the end, i'll still have all my auto stuff if I decide I want to go back.

Auto all the way at the track. I ran mid 12s with a badly slipping auto yet can barely break 13s with the 6-speed. My inexperience with a manual can also attirbute to that. The auto was sooo much easier. It's just not fun at all to drag race with a stick. However, I don't miss the auto at all when driving on the street. Even the exhaust sound alone makes me glad I went with the swap.

i have a B&M ratchet shifter for my auto and i love it. if i ever got another auto id have to have that shifter. but id rather have a manual just because you get to DRIVE the car. autos are nice on days when your stuck in traffic but then again i dont drive a stick and have that "fun factor" like some others do. i wish i could drive a manual everyday but those mornings when i wake up at 6 and just get into my car and put her in drive i dont have to worry about shifting gears. my car isnt going to be a "track" car. its going to be my daily with hopefully when im done up in the 400hp. idk a maunal would be nice but its EXPENSIVE to swap it and i barely make money as it is.