auto to manual

98GTstanger

Nov 14, 2010
I want to go from automatic to a manual. What parts do I need as well as what are the best parts (upgrades rather) and what transmissions are better than others? Which tranny would be ideal? I have a 98 GT.
Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

No information at all about what the OP's goals are. "Best" depends upon the goals.

With as many times as this question has been asked, wondering - :search:

If you are serious and actually do want some real help, spend just a little more time and put some effort into the post. More likely to get replies with some "meat" to them.

Assuming a close to plug and play exchange:

Manual PCM.
Manual Transmission. Hint be sure to get a T45 with a VSS sensor.
Transmission cross member.
6 bolt flywheel
clutch
pilot bearing.
clutch cable
drive shaft
pedals
Manual transmission wiring harness.
Consider manaul steering column to get the manual style key safety switch.
hand held turner to disable PATS. Will be very handy to trouble shoot after.
Ford service CD (buy off of ebay). Will need the wiring diagrams.
Book mark car-part.com for local salvage yards in your area.
Get to know your local salvage yard operator.
Consider buying a "donor" car. Try copart.com for complete salvage cars.
Get a couple of Mustang mags (MM&FF). Several suppliers actually sell kits for this swap.

Are you doing the work yourself? Have you priced trading in the car for one with a manual transmission?

No information at all about what the OP's goals are. "Best" depends upon the goals.

With as many times as this question has been asked, wondering - :search:

If you are serious and actually do want some real help, spend just a little more time and put some effort into the post. More likely to get replies with some "meat" to them.

Assuming a close to plug and play exchange:

Manual PCM.
Manual Transmission. Hint be sure to get a T45 with a VSS sensor.
Transmission cross member.
6 bolt flywheel
clutch
pilot bearing.
clutch cable
drive shaft
pedals
Manual transmission wiring harness.
Consider manaul steering column to get the manual style key safety switch.
hand held turner to disable PATS. Will be very handy to trouble shoot after.
Ford service CD (buy off of ebay). Will need the wiring diagrams.
Book mark car-part.com for local salvage yards in your area.
Get to know your local salvage yard operator.
Consider buying a "donor" car. Try copart.com for complete salvage cars.
Get a couple of Mustang mags (MM&FF). Several suppliers actually sell kits for this swap.

Are you doing the work yourself? Have you priced trading in the car for one with a manual transmission?

I will most likely being doing the work myself with the help of a few mechanic friends and ford enthusiasts. There are plenty of people that want to jump in and help. what does the manual style key safety switch do?
I cant trade the car in for a manual, too much invested in it, sentimentally and financially.

my goals are not drag, I want to take the twisties. Eventually nitrous or turbo and will beef up the transmission once i can afford those. right now i'm not making serious horsepower, just a few bolt-ons and a pi swap. so a basically stock t45 will do, i'll get an aluminum driveshaft and i also have a spec 2 and short throw on the way. I will have a stock flywheel coming too, no aftermarket flywheel, the warp sometimes and im not taking the chance on it. just a waste of time. i'll most likely replace the pilot bearing as well and get a new quadrant.

any questions?