Auto Tranny removal problems

CobraRed_96_GT

May 20, 2006
UCSD/La Jolla
:(
Can't seem to get to the passenger side top bolt, and there's not enough room to turn a wrench on the driver side top bolt. Besides that everything's removed except for the starter which looks like it can be taken out w/ the tranny to me. At this point im looking into borrowing a friend's trailer because i cant put it all together and drive it now cuz we drained the ATF. Either that or have it towed, which shouldnt be a problem since the driveshaft's out. Any suggestions? The place that's rebbuilding it is about 10-12 miles away.

• Sponsors (?)

drop the trans crossmember first. that will tilt the engine back some. then get a long extension about 30" a universal swivel and a socket to fit the bolt. expect to have to put some ass behind it b/c the extension will rob a lot of power. i cant believe you took the rest off with a wrench!!

drop the trans crossmember first. that will tilt the engine back some. then get a long extension about 30" a universal swivel and a socket to fit the bolt. expect to have to put some ass behind it b/c the extension will rob a lot of power. i cant believe you took the rest off with a wrench!!

Yeah, most of the time i had to though, my arm is definitly tired. The 3/8 impact wrench needs an extension to fit and w/ that extension it robs it of all the power and doesnt even budge - so i used an opened or closed ended wrench for most all the bolts. Good idea about the cross member! I dont have a high jack and im using a lift, so Ill try to drop the crossmember with it low to the floor. Thanks

Awsome, thanks propellerhaed - we took it out this morning. Droped the cross member, tilted the engine and pounded the hell out of the bolts w/ 3 1/2" drive extensions and an impact wrench. The hardest part was getting the top bolt off the starter, had to run 2 3/8" extensions in between the firewall and the A arm at the front of the car to get the 1/2" socket w/ a universal swivel on there. This thing should be sweet tho, gunna shift faster than i could ever w/ a 5-speed once it's done being built.