auto transmission questions

Blue_demon

Apr 22, 2005
Mission, TX
I just bought an 88 gt with auto transmission...I have big plans for this car but i have some questions about the transmission....

what kind of transmission does it have..aod or adoe?
What does manual valve body means???
what does Trans brake means???

I'm planning on buying a transmission from lentech but but I also what does it mean when it says that the overdrive needs to be locked until highway speeds or something like that???

Thanks

Hector

• Sponsors (?)

1.) Your 1988 came from the factory with a AOD. The AOD-electric wasn't introduced until 1994 on the SN cars.

2.) Manual Valve Body means that you do all of the shifting yourself. You have to put it into 1st gear, then 2nd and 3rd. When it's time to downshift you will also have to move the shifter. (IIRC from my automatic days)

3.) Can't help you on the trans brake....

someone correct me if i'm wrong but, the trans brake, something lentech offers in one of their manual valve bodies, it's a mechanism in the valve body that is a selenoid conected to a button in the car. when its enguaged, the transmission is not enguaged in gear...untill you release the button.........kinda like a line lock for the front brakes but inside the tranny valve body......the idea is for sling shot launching.....i think, sorta has the effect of revving the engine in neutral and dropping it in gear but it's controlled inside the valve body....

timewarped is correct, on the transbrake. for racing only

yopu want the od locked out til hiway speeds because the od band is the weakest part of the tranny, if it engages too much it will wreck the whole tranny from contamination, you really shoul dhave the car in "d" until you get on the freeway