Mach 1 Automatic Mach

• Sponsors (?)

It depend on how good you can drive a stick, if you can power shift it's at least a 1/2 second or more. A fast speed shift 3 to 4 tenths. You miss gears or granny shift the auto could be about the same to losing a race.

For heavy traffic an auto is nice and with a chip to make the tranny perform harder shifts some of the weakness can be overcome with an auto.

Auto will be a lot more rare when it's all said in done but the 5 speed is just too much fun. Keep in mind a typical auto has a 20% drive train loss while it's only 15 for a manual. Most autos are making high 250's low 260's while at the rear wheels while most 5 speeds are 270-285 RWHP.

I haven't taken her auto to the track, but i would guess High 13s.

I run 13.20 - 13.30 range. Hopefully I will have an o/r h pipe on soon for her.

I honestly think the newer Ford autos are way more efficient then they were. (not more than manual). Her car hits "seconds" all the time when you get on it.

I would never trade my stick for an auto, but I do think they did a good job on the autos compared to past automatic Fords.

I opted for the Auto and love it! Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, not many people are good at racing with a stick car. Putting slicks on a stick car and dumping the clutch to launch is the easy way out. But has been proving to break axles and tranny's on the Mach's. Mastering the technique of launching with the stick on street tires working the clutch is pure art work. The stick will be faster as long as it has a decent driver behind the wheel. But most of the time on the street, street tires, the auto will win. Some people will complain about the "fun factor" with the stick. Well you can have the same fun with the auto if you shift it manually. I don't regrett getting the auto one bit. :nice:

I love the auto in my Mach.Im also tired of stick cars in the city.And the TR3650 trans does have problems.My Mach ran 13.9 at 101 with 215 miles on it.Full tank and a babyseat in the back.(less baby).Itweighs almost 3600lbs.My 03 Gt 5speed ran 14.2 at 98 but I cant drive as well I thought.