Automatic Shifters - Please Help

Stark77

Jun 11, 2008
Tallahassee, FL
Looking to upgrade my automatic shifter to something that gives me a little bit more control as far as upshifts and downshifts. I've heard some good things about the B&M hammer shifter, but their site says its for '00 and under. My car is an 01. Anyone know of an auto shifter that would give the above mentioned abilities and still be compatible with my auto? Anyone have any experience with these?

• Sponsors (?)

Cobra - I think I may have seen your videos on youtube - if those are your videos on youtube. Are you the shoeless driver? What was the install like? Did you do it yourself? How many hours (or how many dollars if you paid for install). This will work with an 01? I hate having this type of power in the engine and not being able to direct it toward the gear I want. Hopefully this product will solve that issue and really wake up the car on the street.

Cobra - I think I may have seen your videos on youtube - if those are your videos on youtube. Are you the shoeless driver? What was the install like? Did you do it yourself? How many hours (or how many dollars if you paid for install). This will work with an 01? I hate having this type of power in the engine and not being able to direct it toward the gear I want. Hopefully this product will solve that issue and really wake up the car on the street.
Yes they are all my vids, here's at full throttle:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RAtmpxzL7Qw

People always point out that im shoeless, lol. I wear flipflops when it's like 90 here, and i wont drive with flip flops on so i go bare foot.
I did the install, takes a good 2.5 hours if you've been in that area b4 which i have since i did the tranny build. A good 3-5 hours if you're just reading step by step - not truely hard, just time consuming. Make sure you have the throttle cable postition nut that attaches to the actuator in the stock position and not in a position where it's most taught.

It will work for an 01'

Great for a strong car that needs to be more fun, allows for simple and fast downshift for corner entrances, and locks gears so that it wont upshift too early coming out of a corner requiring it to then downshift again once throttle is applied.

A tranny cooler is a must for these downshifts. And a shift kit of Jerry mod would make up shifts more fun given the constant line pressure.

cobra red,
that is the nicest auto shifter i have ever seen

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Yeah, the tranny cooler doesn't make the downshifts better, just makes up for the extra heat you're making - and generally maintains reliability.

this is what i used: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM-70264&N=700+115&autoview=sku

A 3200 stall, 3.73's and B&M shifters is exectly my set-up (besides the rest of the built tranny) definitly fun. If you have plans for cams/boost or other i'd suggest as 3400-3600 stall tho, i love my 3200 - but with my cams i could have gone higher no problem

Yeah, the tranny cooler doesn't make the downshifts better, just makes up for the extra heat you're making - and generally maintains reliability.

this is what i used: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM-70264&N=700+115&autoview=sku

A 3200 stall, 3.73's and B&M shifters is exectly my set-up (besides the rest of the built tranny) definitly fun. If you have plans for cams/boost or other i'd suggest as 3400-3600 stall tho, i love my 3200 - but with my cams i could have gone higher no problem

I can't find a stall anywhere under 600 bucks

I'm going to call these guy later and get a quote http://www.circledspecialties.com/Converter Pages/Ford.html

I already have the 3.73 waiting and the B&M is in the mail as of tomorrow :nice:

I picked up a different tranny cooler and also picked up a bigger pan (to be safe)

A bigger pan isn't really needed on a stock tranny/stall tranny - even my built tranny since we use around 13 quarts already, but it can't hurt. Circle D is a good source for a stall - finding a cheap one is a hard task. Just don't buy one off ebay that plainly says "3200 stall TC" cuz it's very dependent on your set-up.

Thanks,

I'm gonna go ahead and install the shfiter along with fluid cooler and after I get the gears installed i'lll deside what stall I want.

I am looking at having a custom build one down in Houston and have some options to pick from after the gears.

3000 - 3200 - 3500

Stage I
Stage II

I'm very interested in the hammer shifter - I've been checking out all the vid's you uploaded. Does it allow shifting beyond 1st and 2nd? I'd like to be able to drop from 4th to 3rd when on the highway. Will the hammer shifter let me do this? Also, for someone who has never done this before, how difficult is the install? I guess a better question is, how easy is it to screw up?

OD will drop you from OD to 4th.
:stick: OD IS 4th.
The Hammer shifter is great, but you can't redesign the way the actuator/selector works or how the tranny shifts with it. You press the red button to shift from 4th to 3rd, locking out 4th (which you shouldn't shift into under full throttle since its band clutch method could twist the input shaft or screw up the band under lots of power).