Automatics ?4R70?

svttech76 said:
HMM I thought they were pretty much the same.. I wonder what would have to be changed? If somebody has done this swap I hope they post to this.

I know that the output shaft on the 4R75W has to be changed to work in a 4R70W car. I believe a lot of the internal parts are the same except for the VB, but I honestly don't recall. I say the 75 is little more stout because the numbers behind the R are a torque rating. 75 is greater than 70.

• Sponsors (?)

ModFever said:
Also, go to Circle D if you want a quality converter! PI, which is what I have, uses wimpy clutches. There's not enough meat on them and they eventually fail. That being said, I have about 20,000 miles on the converter (52,000 on the car) and have no issues yet, but my miles are 80% highway (knocking wood). When it does go, Circle D here I come!! Oh, and if you go with Circle D, you can go with the single-disc. It'll handle up to like 400 rwhp or something. PI is something closer to 300.
That's where I got mine built. Chris was a great guy to deal with and I got a really nice unit for the money too. Modified Mercury Marauder single disk converter, with a billet front cover and all the trimmings. Can't wait to start beating on it. :D

TGJ said:
I know that the output shaft on the 4R75W has to be changed to work in a 4R70W car. I believe a lot of the internal parts are the same except for the VB, but I honestly don't recall. I say the 75 is little more stout because the numbers behind the R are a torque rating. 75 is greater than 70.

I thought the 70 was for the O/D gear ratio .70

Nope, it's a torque rating. I'm not sure how they arrive at the number they use, but the way I understood it is if the number is 70, you're looking at a 350 tq rating, or 5 times the number (or 10X 1/2 the number). 75 would be 375 tq rating.

Matched to the new 5.4-liter V-8 is a new 4R75E automatic transmission, an evolution of the 4R70E used on the current F-150. Upgraded to handle the torque of the 5.4-liter engine, this transmission shares patented upgrades with the 4R70E, which backs the 4.6-liter V-8:

* A redesigned torque converter improves launch performance and increases efficiency.
* A turbine speed sensor improves transmission control, providing the basis for fully electronic shift scheduling to limit "hunting" and to fine-tune shift speed and feel.
* Increased microprocessor speed improves responsiveness and precision of the control system.
* "Smart" fully electronic shift scheduling knows what the torque will be in the next gear so it chooses the shift points based on the vehicle's projected performance in the next gear.
* Coupled with the electronic throttle strategy, the transmission computes the output torque required to maintain the vehicle speed, and chooses the correct gear and converter state accordingly.
* A sealed case and lifetime transmission fluid make the transmission maintenance free, while adaptive pressure control maintains consistent shift feel over time.

By predicting the performance of the truck in the next gear, the computer-controlled transmissions provide a more sophisticated solution to heavy demands than a simple shift delay switch, such as the one-size-fits-all "towing mode" some competitors use.