Autometer Gauge Lighting

dlsdj

May 8, 2003
Corpus Christi, TX
I installed an Autometer Lunar Trans Temp Gauge. The gauge works fine but my issue is with the lighting. I tapped a wire (brown in my 03) that when the light switch is pulled to park the gauge lights up but had no dimming control on the AM gauge. So I tapped the dimmer light wire (BL/WT) to the same wire I tapped for the lights and lost my dimming control to my cluster and everything else. When I removed the tapped (BL/WT) wire my dimming control returned. Q: Do I have to tap straight to the dimmer wire from the AM gauge wire for the dimming to work?

• Sponsors (?)

dlsdj:

I took them out but when I installed my overlays, I used the dimmer wire (blue with pink stripe in my '98) as the power source. This worked nicely.

If I understand your post, you had the AM power wire connected to both the brown and the dimmer wire. This will not work, you need to have only one power source to the AM cluster. MM&FF did an install articles a few months ago but I can't remember what they tapped into for power. I will look it up tonight and post back. In the mean time, you can try a search because I have read posts about the problem that you describe. Somebody has figured it out!