Autometer tach electrical tach connections

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
This one is for you guys that have antermarket tachs.

I just got a dash gauge pod with a 5" autometer tach in it. The hook ups seem pretty straight forward, red wire to keyed source, white to the dash lights, black to ground and the green to the tach signal.

Where did you guys pick up for the tach signal. My 88 still has the stock ignition. I know where to tap in the rest of the wire but figured I would find out the best spot for the tach signal.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Do you want to do it at the computer or at the coil? Those are the two normal options. I just hit the neg side of the coil since it was easier.

Good luck.

Got the tach all hooked up and it works fine except for the shift light. The shift light came with the tach and gauge pod.

When you have the car running with the shift light unplugged the tach works great. But when you plug the shift light in and set the light to say 3k rpm like I did just to check it when the car gets up to 3k the tach stops and the light doesn't come on. You can rev the car up past the 3k but the tach won't go any higher. Unplug the light and the tach works like normal. I tested the ouput of the tach and its putting out 12v to the light when it hits the rpm selected but it won't light up the light. Kinda weird. Just wondered if I was completely overlooking something.

If it doesn't ever work thats fine since all it cost me was a trip from Orlando to Titusville. And the tach works fine and it came with a gauge pod for the 5" tach and 2- 2 5/8" gauges. I will end up needing to swap out the tach for an Autometer Ultralite at some point to match the rest of my gauges.