available stroker kits?

97predator

Aug 18, 2003
va beach
i have found a few by searching this forum, modular ford powerhouse, vtengines, SHM, but what are some of the other companies who make forged shortblocks/strokers for the 4.6L? I am comparing prices and quality, as well as displacement. I have a 97 Cougar XR7 currently and am debating whether to drop a stroker in it or switch to a mustang. Either way the stroker goes in, just dont knwo which car yet. Thanks. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

97predator said:
i have found a few by searching this forum, modular ford powerhouse, vtengines, SHM, but what are some of the other companies who make forged shortblocks/strokers for the 4.6L? I am comparing prices and quality, as well as displacement. I have a 97 Cougar XR7 currently and am debating whether to drop a stroker in it or switch to a mustang. Either way the stroker goes in, just dont knwo which car yet. Thanks. :nice:

Im doin the same:
www.powerheads.com
www.houstonperformance.com
www.vtengines.com
The above use similiar kits and have similiar prices with Houstonperformance being a little better on pricing(sorry Scott).
Then if you want the strongest ModMax offers one with a billet crank.
www.foxlakeracing.com (I believe that is the site) They use ModMax Stroker kit.

Im talking to another company now too see if he will do me a good deal on a Stroker Kit.

Most of the companys use the same rods and crank,except ModMax.
The difference is the pistons:
Powerheads uses Manley to make thiers.
Houstonperformance uses JE to make thiers.
Vtengines uses CP I believe or JE cant remember.
Foxlake use the ModMax kit.
The other company Im talking to will use Any kit I want.

VT uses CP pistons now. I'll let Scott get into the details, but he and Jim say the pistons are much better than other choices.

I thought Powerheads uses a different crank? Could be wrong though...

To my knowledge, we are the only company that does not require an oil support rail. Our kit was designed from the ground up to offer 100% reliability, with no oiling issues. Traditional strokers have been known to have oil consumption issues due to the wrist pin interfering with the oil control ring. Our billet kit utilizes Oliver billet rods. Oliver manufactures some of the highest quality components in the business. Diamond and CP are 2 of the best pistons for modular engines IMHO. CP makes our pistons custom to our specs.

snkypete said:
VT uses CP pistons now. I'll let Scott get into the details, but he and Jim say the pistons are much better than other choices.

I thought Powerheads uses a different crank? Could be wrong though...

Both Powerheads and HP use a Kellogg crank.

HP has been making them for a while and uses Custom JE pistons made to thier specs.

Powerheads just starting making them,they are on thier 5th motor and havent started testing(well maybe they did yesterday).So you have to think about do they have thier stuff together and di he engineer it right.They had Manley make them some Custom pisons that he said are beefier then the CPs that he sent in to them for reference.?????

VTEngine said:
To my knowledge, we are the only company that does not require an oil support rail. Our kit was designed from the ground up to offer 100% reliability, with no oiling issues. Traditional strokers have been known to have oil consumption issues due to the wrist pin interfering with the oil control ring. Our billet kit utilizes Oliver billet rods. Oliver manufactures some of the highest quality components in the business. Diamond and CP are 2 of the best pistons for modular engines IMHO. CP makes our pistons custom to our specs.

Scott niether one of them needs a oil support rail because they said the wrist pin is not interferring with the oil control ring.

Powerheads has yet to be proven,so they are up in the air as to if they have a properly engineerd system.

Steve at HP has made over 30 of them and said no issues and I know a couple of people that have them(thru the boards) and they have said no issues out of thiers yet.

I would agree with both your Pistons and Rods of being the top ones that have been proven to be a quality pieces and strong ones at that.

Im leaning towards Scott myself if I go the Stroker route even if he is a little higher than some :canflag:

One thing I have learned over the years.....

There are times to save a few bucks, there are times not to....sometimes customer service and better parts are worth a few extra dollars.

Just my $.02

snkypete said:
One thing I have learned over the years.....

There are times to save a few bucks, there are times not to....sometimes customer service and better parts are worth a few extra dollars.

Just my $.02

TRUE................TRUE :nice: