B cam question

I just aquired a turbocharged 89 5.0 notch. The engine is stock with the exception of the valvetrain and cam. Right now there is an e303 cam with 1.7 full rollerized rockers. My question is will I be able to fit a b303 cam with the 1.7 rockers?

• Sponsors (?)

Mstg05 said:
I just aquired a turbocharged 89 5.0 notch. The engine is stock with the exception of the valvetrain and cam. Right now there is an e303 cam with 1.7 full rollerized rockers. My question is will I be able to fit a b303 cam with the 1.7 rockers?
screw the b cam for turbo / s/c applications...

use a fms f cam.. has been proven to almost 1200rwhp on a turbo car.

as for the f cam and 1.7 rockers, it would be .512 lift + .035 you get from the 1.7 ratio...

so... as long as you're valve springs are rated to .550 you should be fine.

b cam clearance

I run the B-303 cam on one of my cars with the 1.72 rockers and it has no problems at all. The stock pistons will clear as long as you don't use some heads with big ol' valves. Do you really want to go with the B cam and a turbo? It kicks in about 3 grand but the power band is narrow compared to the E cam.

To answer your question the b-cam will work. The lift on the e-cam is more than the lift on the b-cam. however the duration is more on the b-cam. And on FRPP engines the b-cam makes more power than the e-cam. Now with a turbo i would choose a different cam altogether. If you are gonna stick with a FRPP go with the f-cam or go with a different brand.

Well the thing is, I just bought the car (with the turbo already on it) and the guy gave me a b cam, along with another motor. The turbo is a cartech turbo that was installed back in 1995 I don't want to dump too much money into this motor, seeing as how I plan on rebuilding the other motor with a stroker kit and possibly a new turbo. I figured I would put the b cam in since it is more suitable for forced induction and it was free; but I don't have enough experience with 5.0 engines so I wanted to ask around first before I do anything. Thanks guys!

Why B-cam?

Why not get a cam made specifically for blown applications? Such as the Anderson A-31. I believe it's made by Crane...? But, it's sold by Anderson & it's for boosted engines running 8-16lbs of boost (I believe). They also have a A-21 for low boost & a A-41 for 20+ psi.

DanR9595 said:
Why not get a cam made specifically for blown applications? Such as the Anderson A-31. I believe it's made by Crane...? But, it's sold by Anderson & it's for boosted engines running 8-16lbs of boost (I believe). They also have a A-21 for low boost & a A-41 for 20+ psi.
I believe the cam you are talking about is the b-31. Thats the cam i have and it works great!