Back from the dyno.

jivepepper

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2002
Under a Sombrero. in WV.
Well it made pretty good power but we had to back out the timing because I was running out of fuel. He said once I find the problem he could probably get 620-630 out of it.

The only thing that bothers me is the drivabilty is still crappy maybe even a little worse. Anything between 2-3k and about a 1/4-1/2 of a pedal it farts and misses. If I floor it, or get past 3k or under 2k it's fine. My fuel system should be good to about 650 but for some reason it not holding up.

He thinks it might be an internal leak in the tank. , I'll save some money find out what is causing my miss and return. I also noticed on the way up that my speedometer fluctuates a little ever so often, who knows? I'm glad it's making decent power. Even though I had to leave a little on the table. But the drive ability is really bumming me out. He data logged everything possible did lots of part throttle runs but nothing shows up? But as soon as I get in real world conditions it starts it's crap.

Well here's the numbers. 598.5HP and 531.4 TQ. Not bad for a little Vortech V1 S-trim. So I guess the patriot heads make power after all. He asked me if I wanted to put 1 more degree of timing in it and try for 600 but I didn't want to push my luck with the questionable fuel system. I'll get it next time.

102_0378.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

nice numbers especially with a s trim. are you having any oil problems with your patriots? hope not because according to the guy who tuned my car they are still poping up with valve guide issues from time to time. hope you dont have any issues. how much boost are you seeing? It sounds like your dyno guy needs to smooth out your maf transfer function. my car ran like crap below 3k untill my dyno guy played with/smoothed out the transfer function.

Wow sweet #s!!!!!!!!!!

However, your tuner sucks....its funny how they convince their customers that their car has a "problem thats holding back power".

a. There is nothing wrong with your fuel system. Your at freegin 11-1 at the top of the pull! he is just running it too rich...lean it out to 11.5 flat and you wont see any upward A/F curve.
B. He isnt going to gain anything by getting a higher flowing fuel system with your current boost. Its already running way richer than it needs to be.
C. you could have ran full timing with zero ill effects....your car isnt even close to dangerously lean.

Go elsewhere.....man that A/F curve looks horrid. Waiting way too long to richen it up...then dips to 10.0-1 two times for no reason....especially the first one. wow.

Thanks guys

nice numbers especially with a s trim. are you having any oil problems with your patriots? hope not because according to the guy who tuned my car they are still poping up with valve guide issues from time to time. hope you dont have any issues. how much boost are you seeing? It sounds like your dyno guy needs to smooth out your maf transfer function. my car ran like crap below 3k untill my dyno guy played with/smoothed out the transfer function.

I have no oil probs and about 1k on them

you suck!

:nonono:

Wow sweet #s!!!!!!!!!!

However, your tuner sucks....its funny how they convince their customers that their car has a "problem thats holding back power".

a. There is nothing wrong with your fuel system. Your at freegin 11-1 at the top of the pull! he is just running it too rich...lean it out to 11.5 flat and you wont see any upward A/F curve.
B. He isnt going to gain anything by getting a higher flowing fuel system with your current boost. Its already running way richer than it needs to be.
C. you could have ran full timing with zero ill effects....your car isnt even close to dangerously lean.

Go elsewhere.....man that A/F curve looks horrid. Waiting way too long to richen it up...then dips to 10.0-1 two times for no reason....especially the first one. wow.

The thing is he trains new tuners to use sct software.

Wow sweet #s!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you that his tuner sucks.

I however disagree that his afr isnt droping fast enough. Thats about the way it should be because if it drops faster then the car will fall on its face. trust me i've been down that road allready. I had that problem with my sniper tuning special forces base supercharger tune. when i would punch it in any gear my afr would hit the 11s at around 3200 and the car would bog hard till the rpms rose past 4300 or so. as it was explained to me it needs to drop gradually with centris.

I however disagree that his afr isnt droping fast enough. Thats about the way it should be because if it drops faster then the car will fall on its face. trust me i've been down that road allready. I had that problem with my sniper tuning special forces base supercharger tune. when i would punch it in any gear my afr would hit the 11s at around 3200 and the car would bog hard till the rpms rose past 4300 or so. as it was explained to me it needs to drop gradually with centris.

+1 It needs to be an NA tune until the boost comes in. That's one problem i have with the MPH mongoose tune (besides drivability lol) it is like 10:1 until 3,000RPM then it's "just right". The car when "NA" feels slower than it does stock eh :shrug:

+1 It needs to be an NA tune until the boost comes in. That's one problem i have with the MPH mongoose tune (besides drivability lol) it is like 10:1 until 3,000RPM then it's "just right". The car when "NA" feels slower than it does stock eh :shrug:

you are the first person i have ever heard say the mongoose tune isnt spot on. everyone claims its perfect. 10:1 is way too rich your lucky you havent fouled a 02 sensor or cat yet. you gona buy another stang once you sell yours?

The thing you have to remember, is that he has a much more aggressive pulley combo than you...he is 13-1 @ 3700-3800RPMs @ WOT. Thats several #s of boost, and IMO is NOT good. It should taper down much quicker. Anything below 2800RPMs will be fine @ 13-1. By 3700 he should be running 12-1....just making alot more heat for a few more HP. He isnt going to melt anything, but it sure as heck isnt helping his engine last longer.

Its all based on load VS RPM, and has a commanded A/F for that area. The tuner just has it setup a LITTLE to lean in the lower RPM/high load area...ofcourse this is my opinion and every tuner will be a little different. :) I like to stay on the safe side.

Thanks guys

I have no oil probs and about 1k on them

:nonono:

The thing is he trains new tuners to use sct software.

With all due respect, that doesnt mean that he is really good or anything.....just look at his work :shrug: He uses the same software that I use...its not all that hard to dial in the A/F ratio curve....its all in the MAF X fer function.
Maybe he just stopped and sent you away like that because he didnt want to waste his time if your getting a new fuel system (thats not really needed...but wouldnt hurt anything as it IS infact maxed @ 11.0-1. However it wouldnt be pegged if A/F was 11.6-11.8 or so like it should be) :shrug:

The hard parts are diving deep into the tune and changing settings so that the car acts right when your racing/shifting and while driving around in the real world.

Oh well, if your happy with him then more power too you. I have to say one thing good though....its clear that he sure as heck wont send you away with a dangerous tune :nice: