Back to daily driving the classic, any tips?

66 BLAKE 96

Native Texican
Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Cowtown
In order to pay off some credit cards (some of which helped finance the paint on the 66), I just sold the 96 GT. Kinda sad really, as it was a fun driver. Not my dream car though, and $7K can really do some damage to the 'ol debt. We'll be getting the wife an SUV of some sort in the fairly near future, so I'll get her 96 V6 for a daily before winter sets in. Not that it's that bad here in Tx, but it's still nice to know I won't have to slide to work on icy roads in my precious fastback. :nice:

Saturday my friend and I are going to throw ourselves at the fastback and get it ready for daily duty. Any advice?

For now, I have the to-do list of:
Check brake pads/shoes and replace any worn parts
Oil change
Check plugs and wires (they are fairly new)
Check all fluids
Clean/replace air and fuel filters
Maybe get a new spare tire since my old one is dry rotted?
Get a new fire extinguisher
Did I miss anything?

Anyone have any ideas on how to plug a shelby scoop for driving in the rain? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

66 BLAKE 96 said:
In order to pay off some credit cards (some of which helped finance the paint on the 66), I just sold the 96 GT. Kinda sad really, as it was a fun driver. Not my dream car though, and $7K can really do some damage to the 'ol debt. We'll be getting the wife an SUV of some sort in the fairly near future, so I'll get her 96 V6 for a daily before winter sets in. Not that it's that bad here in Tx, but it's still nice to know I won't have to slide to work on icy roads in my precious fastback. :nice:

Saturday my friend and I are going to throw ourselves at the fastback and get it ready for daily duty. Any advice?

Oil change
Check all fluids
Did I miss anything?

Anyone have any ideas on how to plug a shelby scoop for driving in the rain? :shrug:

Go efi :rlaugh: About the scoop, how about a small pice of plexiglass cut to fit with some weatherstripping around it. Drill a couple holes in it and put a little handle on it (nut and blot maybe) Just make it so it can be shoved nice and snug in the hole, so it comes in and out in a matter of seconds. :shrug:

66 BLAKE 96 said:
In order to pay off some credit cards (some of which helped finance the paint on the 66), I just sold the 96 GT.

Oil change
Check all fluids
Did I miss anything?

Tranny fluid/screen?
Coolant fresh?
Belt(s)?
About 20,000 coats of the hardest wax you can find to ward off "Supermarket Parking Lot Rash"
66 BLAKE 96 said:

Nerf balls! Seriously. Rubber cement 2-3 together (just don't coat them entirely) and jam 'em in there. Check regularly to ensure they are not drying out (heat) and turning into latex dust - and to make sure the carb isn't trying to swallow them

MrBobMarley said:
Go efi :rlaugh: About the scoop, how about a small pice of plexiglass cut to fit with some weatherstripping around it. Drill a couple holes in it and put a little handle on it (nut and blot maybe) Just make it so it can be shoved nice and snug in the hole, so it comes in and out in a matter of seconds. :shrug:

Oh I will go EFI, just not yet. :nice:

The plexi might work, I'll look into that.

StangDreamin' said:
Nerf balls! Seriously. Rubber cement 2-3 together (just don't coat them entirely) and jam 'em in there. Check regularly to ensure they are not drying out (heat) and turning into latex dust - and to make sure the carb isn't trying to swallow them

That ain't a bad idea right there. I like how something like that would be a great interferance fit. I'm not really worried about the carb, but I do have a hipo style open element air cleaner. I can just see how a good downpour could drown my engine for a couple hours. Maybe I could butcher a nerf football for this. Hmmmm..

Blake--As a person who just had a flat on Monday on the way to work, make sure you have a good lug nut wrench--not that POS that came originally! Fortunately, my aged scissor jack was recently greased and held the car up.

You might get a cowl cover to toss in the trunk. I daily drive mine, and when I sense rain, I stick on my cover to keep my cowl dry. I park in an open lot, so during fall--the three days that are fall in SE Louisiana--I put on the cover to keep leaves out.

If you have AC, make sure it is charged and ready to go.

You might go with some higher powered headlights, too.

Good for you for driving it. They were meant to be driven, not just looked at and polished. :nice: