Back to stock build thread

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
I've been trying to improve my driveability for the last couple years and I finally got fed up with it and picked up a stock engine. The plan is to drive it the rest of the summer then I'll decide what to do next. I've put so much work into this car I hate to sell it, but I really want something newer...

The engine I got is from a wrecked 95 GT with 120k on it. I can't just drop in an old nasty engine so I've been working on it for the last couple months. Replaced the balancer, timing chain, and lifters....cleaned up and ported the lower intake...The valve covers were rusted and nasty so I cleaned them up and repainted them. Working on polishing the upper intake. Also ordered a set of shorty headers that should be here today.

I'll be starting the swap tonight.

Loaded in the Jeep :)
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6232&g2_serialNumber=3

On the stand
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6236&g2_serialNumber=3

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6254&g2_serialNumber=3

New timing chain. Installed +2* at 112 ICL after a ton of research.
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6260&g2_serialNumber=3

Quick and dirty paint job
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6263&g2_serialNumber=3

How it looks right now. Still working on the second valve cover
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6272&g2_serialNumber=3

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah it was a tough choice, but I just don't enjoy driving the car anymore. As nice as the car is, if it's no fun to drive then what's the point? I'm definitely gonna miss this engine, but it'll be nice to drive the car more often. :)

Made some decent progress last night. I drove it one last time so it was really hot when we started working on it. Oops. Got the transmission out and the front accessories off. We'll have the engine out tonight and the 5.0 dropped in either late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Cheap SS headers. Not great, but can't complain for the price.
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6287&g2_serialNumber=3

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6278&g2_serialNumber=3

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6281&g2_serialNumber=3

Had the same driveability issues after the 347 install. The PMS saved me a ton of time or I'd been annoyed like you've been. We also had issues with the 92 but again another device, the twEEC saved the day. The data logging capability made it easy to track down the issues. Without this tool we'd still be chasing stalling and idle issues. Sucks to see you going backwards. Good luck.

Had a problem with the bell housing for the TKO so I need a T5...Probably going to try to rebuild my old one this week. The bell housing was off by .017 and the dowel pins were stuck in the block. :bang:

Got the engine set down in the car. I'm wore out so I'm taking the rest of the day off. I'll work on finding a transmission this week as well as finish the wiring and other misc stuff.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6290&g2_serialNumber=3

Had the same driveability issues after the 347 install. The PMS saved me a ton of time or I'd been annoyed like you've been. We also had issues with the 92 but again another device, the twEEC saved the day. The data logging capability made it easy to track down the issues. Without this tool we'd still be chasing stalling and idle issues. Sucks to see you going backwards. Good luck.

I have an AEM and that improved the driveability a lot, but the problem is consistency. The car will run perfect for a while then an hour later it's bucking again. Combined with exhaust leaks, oil leaks, and a touchy throttle I finally decided to just get rid of it rather than fix all the problems.

Adam, I was planning on selling the stock headers after I get the car running. The studs are broke, but other than that they look ok.

Ryan, I'm selling pretty much everything that I take off the car. Going to try to sell the engine complete, but I'll part it out if I need to.

I'll drive it probably til the end of summer, then I might sell it. I'm debating between an 03 Cobra or wait a year or two and get a new 5.0. I'd also like to put a turbo on this car, but I just don't think I would trust it to drive several hours to a road course and beat on it all day without something breaking.

Sucks to see you going backwards, but this happens all too often. We keep adding this and that until we pass the point of fun and into headaches. Me personally, my favorite combo was a stock longblock and an S trim. With my awesome tune, I could beat on it all day every day and it drove like stock! I drove it on 250 mile trips to see family and it never skipped a beat. The thing I'm going to do different this time is use a stockish 351 longblock instead so I don't have to worry about splitting the block.

How do you feel about going supercharged?

I'll drive it probably til the end of summer, then I might sell it. I'm debating between an 03 Cobra or wait a year or two and get a new 5.0. I'd also like to put a turbo on this car, but I just don't think I would trust it to drive several hours to a road course and beat on it all day without something breaking.

Just some friendly advice, but don't sell your car. I love the way your car looks now. Also remember that every day that goes by your car gets better and better. Sure the new 5.0's are nice, but how many nice looking SN-95's do you see on the road?

I thought about selling mine last year, but after going to the Car Craft Nationals with my car last weekend I fell in love with it again. I can't tell you how many people came up to me and talked to me about my car, told me how nice it looked, etc... I mean I just have a measely 2V NPI GT and yet I was getting as much if not more attention than some of the terminators and the new Mustangs that are in our car club.

It's great that you're converting it back to something you'll enjoy driving, but I'm guessing it's worth more to you than you could sell it for. Just something to consider...

i don't see the point in getting an 03 cobra. it's the same car more or less than yours now. it's not going to be any better than if you put a IRS in your car. since you're interests are more road course centered, get something that is better for that.

The 03 Cobra couldn't be more different than my car. Power wise they were very close with my car being equal to about 500rwhp in the Cobra due to lighter weight. The Cobra has a high tech small displacement factory supercharged engine, decent gas mileage and good driveability, 6-speed, IRS, fuel system capable of 600+ rwhp with a few simple upgrades.... My car has an old school rough around the edges 420ci engine that gets horrible gas mileage, sucks around town, TKO 5-speed, SRA, the entire fuel system needs replaced to support 600+rwhp... If I only wanted to go faster I would have spent the money to install a sc/tc like I had originally planned.

As for getting a car that's better for road courses, I thought about a Z06 but I just don't think I can do it. If I could have my Mustang and a vette, maybe, but I can only choose one. My car with the 420w was great on track, but I don't want a track only car.

I've also thought about swapping a new 5.0 into my car. The problem is they're so different than what I have now I'm afraid I'll have a bunch of little annoying problems. All of the gauges need to be replaced when using the Ford engine control pack, which wouldn't be bad but it adds cost to the swap. I figured up the total cost and it comes out to easily $10k+ with mostly new parts. :(

Just some friendly advice, but don't sell your car. I love the way your car looks now. Also remember that every day that goes by your car gets better and better. Sure the new 5.0's are nice, but how many nice looking SN-95's do you see on the road?

I thought about selling mine last year, but after going to the Car Craft Nationals with my car last weekend I fell in love with it again. I can't tell you how many people came up to me and talked to me about my car, told me how nice it looked, etc... I mean I just have a measely 2V NPI GT and yet I was getting as much if not more attention than some of the terminators and the new Mustangs that are in our car club.

It's great that you're converting it back to something you'll enjoy driving, but I'm guessing it's worth more to you than you could sell it for. Just something to consider...

See I have the opposite happen to me. Every car show I go to my car is mostly overlooked. Even at Mustang Week last year I only had maybe 10 people talk to me about it. Most people just walk right by and stop at the stock car with chromed out everything.

I do agree about how the car looks though. That's the one thing I still love about my car. :)

oh gotcha, i thought you wanted a more dedicated track car that could get driven on the street. 03 cobra to me is just a different engine than what you have but its still the same suspension/interior. not much of a change. i've heard too that most positive displacement blowers heat soak really bad at open track events, but i've never looked into it myself.

coyote swap would be sweeeeeet.