Backfiring??

Black Stang 97

the guy on top of me is funny
Nov 11, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
what are the causes of it??

I was getting on the freeway and decided to get to the speed limit fast....so i floored it in 2nd gear till about 6k rpm....then when i shift onto 3rd...while in the process of shifting onto 3rd gear it backfires...its pretty loud..it only does it when i shift onto 3rd gear...ive tried it taking off form a dead stop and juss pedal to the metal all the way thru 3rd and when i shift onto 3rd it backfires.....can someone please tell me what wrong with my car.....:shrug: my mods are in my sig if needed.....thankz alot guys.......

• Sponsors (?)

i read that when your gonna shift and your at WOT...and suddenly let go of the gas for that split second you still have gas which ignite and causes the backfire....i think there was sumthing else but i 4got....i read that its not bad for the motor.....its not right??

Black Stang 97 said:
i read that when your gonna shift and your at WOT...and suddenly let go of the gas for that split second you still have gas which ignite and causes the backfire....i think there was sumthing else but i 4got....i read that its not bad for the motor.....its not right??

Thats right. It does not hurt the car at all. it happens a lot with people running o/r midpipes, just the gas buring up. I personally like the sound. :shrug:

bakos24 said:
Thats right. It does not hurt the car at all. it happens a lot with people running o/r midpipes, just the gas buring up. I personally like the sound. :shrug:

thanks for the reassurement...yea mine is kinda loud but then again im running o/r pipes....also i think i know it only seem to do it in 3rd....because my 1 to 2 shift is fast and i dont think it has enough time to back fire while me shifting to 3rd it takes me a lil longer which is why the backfire happens right? i wonder if i can see fire at night when it backfires....:p