Backspacing question....

steedastang06

European Forum Founding Member
Feb 25, 2002
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Hey guys I am in a bit of a dilema.. here is a little background..

I used to own a 1997 mustang with 95 Cobra R rims (M-1007-R50) and 1 had a little curb rash so i bought a new one to replace it but some the car and still had the rim so.....

I thought i would use the rim on my 06 GT.. I bought another cobra R rim and BFG DR's from tirerack.com yesterday but their part number was (M-1007-m179). I didnt know the difference so i bought them anyways... but today i called fordracingparts and they informed me that the R-50 replaced the R-58 and has a 5.95" backspacing while the M179 has a 6.49" Backspacing.. so i called tirerack back today and ordered another M-179 rim so that i had two that fit... but now i am curious if they will even fit on an 06 or if the 6.49" backspacing will be too much.. the offset is +36mm which is fine by me and the weight is only 21lbs per rim... Can anyone rest my mind by telling me that these rims will fit fine for Track duty only (without lying :D ) Thanks in advance!

Justin

• Sponsors (?)

yes i ordered 2 wheels from tirerack with a +36mm offset. I am not worried about the offset. Just the back spacing.. i read that stock was 6.2 something so these are just .2 farther so i dont think it would make a big difference, just needed another opinion..

offset and backspacing are two different measurments that pretty much tell you the same thing. it tells you where the mounting surface of the wheel is in relation to the outer rim. you should be fine.

I would like to extend this question by asking if anyone has installed wheels for a 94-04 on their 05-07 GT? It seems that the 94-04 take around a 22mm offset where as the 05-07 take around a 40mm. I am hoping to fit a set of 18x9 and 18x10 black FR500's on my 06. Has anyone done this? The FR500's seem only to be available for the older cars.

Thank you for your response.