Bad Alternator?

GeLsTaNg215

Dec 7, 2004
Philly, PA
Okay well I've been hearing a pretty loud clicking noise coming from the engine area so I popped the hood and put the screwdriver to my ear on the alternator and that seems to be where the loud clicking is coming from. The alternator looks like the 3g 130amp but I'm not quite sure cause it was already on the car when I bought it. My question is what would cause the clicking and is the alt. gonna die out? I plan on installing some underdrive pullys this week but need to know if i should replace the alt. first? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

The clicking is probably a bearing or something hitting inside the case. Take the belt off & turn the alt by hand. Take note if the noise goes away, or if you feel any roughness or places where the pulley does not turn smoothly.

I think he's saying that you may have an internal bearing going out, but you should verify by removing the drive belt and rotate the alternator pulley by hand. Listen closely to the alternator while you are rotating the pulley to see if you can hear any clicking noise or feel any rough spots while you are rotating the pulley.