Bad Autometer Fuel gauge!

Red Dragon

Jan 23, 2003
Hi all,

Had the Mustang into the dealer to run a bunch of diagnostics and the mechanic said that my Autometer fuel gauge was not working correctly. He saw the guage and said that the pressure did not seem correct. So he hooked up his expensive mechanical testing gauge and mine was off by about 30 lbs. at some times! Yikes! He ran a few tests to determine that. He also said that my Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump was working correctly. (nice to know)

Has anybody else had a bad Autometer fuel guage (electrical style)? From the beggining I thought something was wrong when the thing would shoot up to 50 PSI for no reason and then come back down.

Now I just need to determine if the problem is the gauge or the sending unit. :(

How is Autometer warrenty? This is NOT a cheap gauge. I spent the money for a good gauge and I got crap!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if it is normal, but the one time that I CALLED Autometer they were more than helpful. Try calling. (Emailing was a waste of time).

Sounds to me like it is just the sender, but I don't really know.

I just got off the phone with Autometer. They will be sending me a new sender next week. If that does not fix it, then I have to send the meter in for repair. They seemed like they really wanted to fix the problem quickly.

Red Dragon said:
I just got off the phone with Autometer. They will be sending me a new sender next week. If that does not fix it, then I have to send the meter in for repair. They seemed like they really wanted to fix the problem quickly.

See? Everything will work out. Glad they helped you out. They are truly one of a handful of companies out there who still take care of their customers.

:nice:

Red Dragon said:
Hi all,

Had the Mustang into the dealer to run a bunch of diagnostics and the mechanic said that my Autometer fuel gauge was not working correctly. He saw the guage and said that the pressure did not seem correct. So he hooked up his expensive mechanical testing gauge and mine was off by about 30 lbs. at some times! Yikes! He ran a few tests to determine that. He also said that my Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump was working correctly. (nice to know)

Has anybody else had a bad Autometer fuel guage (electrical style)? From the beggining I thought something was wrong when the thing would shoot up to 50 PSI for no reason and then come back down.

Now I just need to determine if the problem is the gauge or the sending unit. :(

How is Autometer warrenty? This is NOT a cheap gauge. I spent the money for a good gauge and I got crap!
Mine would shoot up to 50 in the summer due to vapor locking. It would eventually come down once I was moving and the car cooled down. The computer would sense the extreme heat and increase the pressure. Since I've gotten the intercooler, I haven't had this happen. I called Steeda about this(since I have their base tune) and this is the answer they gave me and several other supercharger guys verified what Steeda said....

SmithAtlanta said:
Mine would shoot up to 50 in the summer due to vapor locking. It would eventually come down once I was moving and the car cooled down. The computer would sense the extreme heat and increase the pressure. Since I've gotten the intercooler, I haven't had this happen. I called Steeda about this(since I have their base tune) and this is the answer they gave me and several other supercharger guys verified what Steeda said....
What does the intercooler have to do with the fuel system?

[QUOTE='96&'01Stang]My guess is that it is not seeing any hot air, thus not spiking the fuel pressure.....or something like that[/QUOTE]
Exactly.... The cooler air resolved the issue of vapor lock(at least from the computers determination). All I can say is I had the spike before the intercooler and didn't have it after it.

I was just trying to explain to Red Dragon why he may have had the spike in his gauge.

What did your gauge read normally when you were driving around town, Red Dragon?

Red Dragon said:
Hi all,

My friend got a recall letter from Autometer regarding his fuel pressure gauge model. I don't know excatly his gauge model or the reason for the recall, but you may want to check into that.

I got the replacement sender unit and all seems to be well now! However, I also noted that the sending unit I got from Autometer was NOT the same sending unit Summit Racing sent me when I purchesed the gauges. Hmmm? It makes me wonder if there are a couple of models. I saw on another thread that the "older" style electric gauges had a black box between the sending unit and the gauge. My setup did not. Maybe I got the sending unit from Summit that was to be used with a black box? The old sending unit (the bad one) was part number 4590-0008-22. I don't know the number for the replacement, but the number was a lot different and the unit even looked a lot different. I hope this helps somebody else if there are some wrong parts being sent for these Autometer electric gauges.

As for the symptoms of it not working correctly: The needle jiggles all of the time and does not like to go above 40 PSI. It will also "spike" to 50 PSI while cruising.

The new sending unit makes the needle behave smoother with less jiggle and the needle easily goes up to 50 psi or more when the car rpms go up (I have a KB Boost-a-pump) I have not driven the car with the new sender in, but just looking at the gauge in the garage with the car running I can tell it is working better.