Bad choke problems...

XStang302x

Founding Member
Nov 2, 2000
Marietta, GA
Sorry to be the recent post whore lately.

Carb - Edelbrock 600 Performer

But my choke is driving me nuts. Anytime I apply gas it wants to die, even after it's fully warmed up....infact, worse after it warms up. The only way to drive it with the choke on is to barely apply any gas and creep up to speed. Anything more than a couple millimeters more in the pedal and she pukes. I thought it might have been a wiring issue since I lack any talent in that area...put on all new connectors...made sure everything was nice and tight and tested with a test light. So I know that isn't the issue. Now I can unplug the positive lead on the choke and drive down the road just fine...no issues at all.

I've got the carb grounded to the carb body as recommended in the manual. It's not hooked to the coil, but to the starter relay on the mid-right post that gives power when the key is at the 'on' position.

Any ideas? I've already leaned out the tick marks on the choke cover housing...it's in the middle now.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

• Sponsors (?)

Woohoo! Thanks man...ya made my day!

Went poking around with the voltmeter and found an unused plug near the master cylinder. It read about 11.5-11.75...close enough. Spliced her up and I'm good to go! Turns out that plug was for the parking brake indicator light...didnt know I even had one of those lol. I can live with it being on as long as I don't have to ride the bike in the rain anymore or borrow my roomie's honda...bleh!

I owe ya a beer if you're ever in GA!

Thanks again :nice:

-Frank