Bad Clutch Or Transmission???

Ty Peterson

Oct 2, 2012
I was driving her pretty hard the other night and when I threw her into 3rd it started to grind gears really loud so I pulled it home and just started it up today and the clutch works just fine but when I put it in gear it try's to move but u can hear the gears just grinding together and trying to catch. Does this mean I need to rebuild the tranny or is it something to do with the clutch?

• Sponsors (?)

Grinding is rarely a clutch.
Likely it would slip under full throttle at low rpm in a higher gear before you get to the grinding point.

You want to see if the clutch is bad? Simply put it in 4th or 5th gear at 1500rpm and put your foot to the floor.
It will slip.

Reactions: 1 users
You want to see if the clutch is bad? Simply put it in 4th or 5th gear at 1500rpm and put your foot to the floor.
It will slip.
We had a guy come in who more-or-less did what you just stated, but he did it while going up hill with an already weak clutch. This is what ended up happening to it :D
IMG_0326.jpg

Is it just grinding when you try to get it to go into 3rd gear? Will it actually go into 3rd gear at all? Does it keep on grinding even once its in 3rd gear?​
Push in your clutch, put it in 3rd gear, and let up off the clutch. If the tranny keeps making a grinding noise with it in 3rd gear when you go to let off of the clutch then the input shaft in the tranny broke. (3rd gear is what usually always breaks in T5's)​

All the gears are grinding and it doesn't go anywhere I started it up and put it in first and when I let off it moves an inch and all does is make loud noises like the gears aren't catching and it does it whatever gear u put it in its not just one

All the gears are grinding and it doesn't go anywhere I started it up and put it in first and when I let off it moves an inch and all does is make loud noises like the gears aren't catching and it does it whatever gear u put it in its not just one
Yep your Tranny is toast! Your input-shaft/3rd gear broke. I have broke 2-3 T5's now, all of them breaking when power-shifting into 3rd gear then BAM!!! Terrible grinding/clinking noises!!! (most common problem with the T5's when they break)

Sorry to hear this. Unless you have the money for a rebuild ($1000-$1500), id say just get a used one off of craigslist. ($200-$500)

Reactions: 1 user
1000-1500 for a rebuild if I do it myself. What all do I need to rebuild it

Couple things, try not to be insulted, but if you need to check here to see if the issue is the clutch or the trans, rebuilding it should probably be left to a seasoned professional.

Besides, the labor to fix a trans isn't all that much money, in your case if you need hard parts, they are what is going to cost you.

Either find a trans that works, is already rebuilt or only has minor issues and have it fixed.

Rebuild with small parts rebuild kit should only be like $500 or so.
Rebuild needing an input shaft and other parts is going to be double that, which is more than a good t5 is worth.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep your Tranny is toast! Your input-shaft/3rd gear broke. I have broke 2-3 T5's now, all of them breaking when power-shifting into 3rd gear then BAM!!! Terrible grinding/clinking noises!!! (most common problem with the T5's when they break)

Sorry to hear this. Unless you have the money for a rebuild ($1000-$1500), id say just get a used one off of craigslist. ($200-$500)
+1...just did the same thing to a Gforce t-5... Mine drives in 1st and second.. But clanks.. 4th still worked though. After my third made that loud bang I put it in 4th and kept driving..

idk. meh. so confusing. It could be glazed....

So, I'm a computer person. I posted this in 2 other places, but whatever; if this is happening to you it is horrible. I was driving along and zip! crank!

I adjusted it using the factory method of pulling on the pedal. fale.

I put myself under there and looked at it. Just press the small one out to disengage the teeth and put it back where it's supposed to go. fale.

Zip ! Too much tension between the spring and the quadrant.

I mean, I looked under there at the clutch, put a nick in it where the fork position was... lol and adjusted it higher on the quadrant. (mor slack)

I went back under there... (phear) and the fork moved an entire 1/2 an inch. wtf! So tell me, what is the advantage to engage the clutch mechanism at all?

Ride on a spring +++ (a spring between the clutch bell and the fork) lol

I removed the tension spring on my clutch quadrant so it would go all the way back to release the clutch fork engagement point...

The trick will be to find a unique spring to use. One that looks like your cat would probably be good. lol

kk. It's hosed. It starts slipping going up a hill in 3rd gear with this rig:

2014-07-09%2012.18.02.jpg

2014-07-09%2012.13.01.jpg

Other than that it shifts very nicely. ++ I guess it's just hosed. No more 100mph++ Or long road trips unil it's fixed. If it is glazed, I hear that it should fix it's self; but whatever... In my other car, I was driving down the interstate at 65mph, (slip) then 55 mph, (slip) and finally 50mph before I got to where I was going so, seems to me it should just lock up, but it doesn't. Maybe it will fix it's self with the new arrangement.

update #2... 06/22/2016 ... drove this glazed clutch for 2 years. it wont easily hold 4th or 5th gear. the problem now would seem to be bogging it in 3rd, 4th or 5th... at 97k miles... so hit your switch and fly or replace the glazed clutch immediately. or buy a used Ferrari, same deal. lol

Attachments

• 100_2102.JPG
    100_2102.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 258
  • 100_2106.JPG
    100_2106.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
T
update #2... 06/22/2016 ... drove this glazed clutch for 2 years. it wont easily hold 4th or 5th gear. the problem now would seem to be bogging it in 3rd, 4th or 5th... at 97k miles... so hit your switch and fly or replace the glazed clutch immediately. or buy a used Ferrari, same deal. lol
The clutch disk looks a lot like the one I recently replaced on my Mustang. When the disk looks like that, you need to replace the clutch disk, flywheel and pressure plate all at the same time. The heat generated by the slippage damages the flywheel and pressure plate to the point that they cannot be successfully be machined to clean them up. The clutch disk. pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, bolts & dowel pins was about $425 from Summit. Shipping was free...