bad idle, smells rich, lean code both banks.

trance

Aug 18, 2009
well. been trying to use the search feature to find the answer and the manual just tells me to replace everything... getting lean codes for both banks but i can smell the exhaust, at times it makes my eyes water. only other code is for the EGR(my own doing).

car wont idle unless i sit there and baby it while cold. and once warm it ends up hanging around 1100 RPM then dropping to a "normal" range and ends up loping like i have a cam.

im sure there isnt a vac leak. spent a good amount of time looking for one.could it really be the o2's on their way out? i have no idea how old they are.

mods so far... CAI cobra intake, BBK O/R H, MSD dist.

what gives?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd definitely try new o2 sensors... Also, when was the last overall tune-up? Not saying that's a solution, but it'll at least be normal maintenance and could possibly help somewhere along the way.

it's gotten the "basic" tune up a few times in the past two months. as the previous owner didnt care for the car much ive just been playing whack a mole every weekend.

looks like im doing o2's tomorrow morning.

Join the club. It's a crappy feeling, but I'm just waiting for the day when it all pays off. :shrug: One thing after another with these cars... Good luck! Hopefully those o2's fix it. :)

would you know the part number for them as the vatozone has 10billion choices of bosch O2 sensors for a 95 gt

this club that ive joined recently... sucks. but at least it occupies my time, and everyone seems to have a story about their old 5.0 and how they never shoulda gotten rid of it.

Are you sure the code isn't for 'lean adaptive limit?' That would mean it's rich but the EEC cannot lean it out any more.

Two O2 codes and pig rich would make me wanna clean and check the MAF for starters.

Are you sure the code isn't for 'lean adaptive limit?' That would mean it's rich but the EEC cannot lean it out any more.

Two O2 codes and pig rich would make me wanna clean and check the MAF for starters.

codes 136, 172. just a lean condition being picked up.
maf's good I tried an extra i had laying around and it does the same thing

alright o2's replaced... that code is gone and the engine "seems" to run a little better still sucks at idling when cold... no biggie

also, now a code 313 for AIR not bypassing during koer is coming up. would deleting the smog rid me of this? and how should i go about doing that if so.

thanks for the help. 02 seem to have given it a little better MPG as i burned 3/4 of a tank in about 100 miles of driving... right now i have the battery disconnected in the car in hopes of it finally forgetting it's former abused life. gonna reset the idle as the guide says above.

now it's time to think about the smog deletion and install a line lock. yay....

thanks for the help. 02 seem to have given it a little better MPG as i burned 3/4 of a tank in about 100 miles of driving... right now i have the battery disconnected in the car in hopes of it finally forgetting it's former abused life. gonna reset the idle as the guide says above.

now it's time to think about the smog deletion and install a line lock. yay....
For the smog deletion you'll need to plug up the holes it'll leave in the head. An easy way of doing it is actually using spark plugs instead of the actual plugs. An easier thing to do may be just rerouting the belt, or by getting the delete bracket.

Resetting the idle is real easy, and hopefully that'll solve whatever issue you're having with your idle. When was your fuel filter last changed? That can help out gas mileage too. As a comparison, when my car was running 'properly', I could pull around 220 to a tank, driving like a grandma, but still.

Good luck with everything!

im not expecting much outta the car. 180 to a tank with 3.73's and ill be ecstatic(my 04 is the 25+mpg daily driver) ALL fluids in the car have been changed twice. along with every filter i can find. car's getting love. but it shows none back. heh.

spark plugs... for the hole in the heads? hmmm

well. another night the car will sit and be mocked by the other two stangs in the driveway.

thanks again 302gts

hi im new to the stang net really looking for more information.so would you be willing to expand on what you had to say about the eec not being able to lean it out anymore??

This thread is old, I mean really old, dusty old. So to get you some help post up the specs on your car and the codes and/or symptoms your experiencing in a new thread and the current members will chime in with some help for ya.
And welcome to stangnet.