Bad Idle Surge on '88 Fox w/Mods

Code 66 was a continuous memory code, and didnt show in the KOER. Granted, it showed for a reason, but that could have been from starting or running the engine with the MAF sensor unhooked and allowing the code to be logged......Just my experience:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

hey, this is Dan with a modified '88 fox...tried to do the set-idle checklist, but having problems...no chance of sustaining idle with IAC unplugged without lots of throttle...background: Edelbrock RPM perfomer II upper and lower intake, MAF conversion, 24 lb injectors set at 45 psi, 24 lb cal computer and 75 mm MAF meter, 70 mm throttle body, Ford Racing B303 cam, heads were ported and polished w/oversized valves. Vacuum system seems intact. Timing set at 14 degrees. Runs rich as hell at idle (no matter how low I set the fuel PSI) and drives poorly, but has good power at hight RPM, dies real easy taking off from a stop and has a bad idle surge. New non-OEM TPS set at 0.971.

Dan check your alternator and circuits.

hey ya'll, sorry, been off-line for a couple days....i replaced the ECT and ACT w/no improvement. will get back to working on the car tonight again...was unable the last couple days. I am going to fix this thing if it kills me...if i have to gut it and rewire it and throw a carb on it I will!!! more to come. v/r

hey guys and (gal), well, i got the car running a little better, but not happy yet....i redid all my EEC splice-work from when i did the MAF conversion...thing is i went ahead and soldered the connections this time (it makes a difference)...still getting a little idle surge though and the idle doesn't drop as quick as it should when letting off the gas. am next going to relocate the ECT since it is still throwing a code even after I rotated it upside down as suggested (by the way, it is a new sensor, so is the ACT). Might try seeing what a different computer does when hooked up too since i have a friend who has one lying aroud. not sure what else to do, i have tuned the crap out of that thing. will post results. :)

just for diagnostic purposes. Remove the sending unit for the Gauge reading, and screw the ECT sensor in its spot. Block of the fitting you had the ECT sensor in. You may have to lengthen the ECT wires. Then Run the KOER test and see what happens.

hello again, well, hate to admit this, but not sure what the sending unit for the gauge is....also, i have edelbrock rpm performer II upper and lower intake....not stock. v/r